HELP!! Power outage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I am 50 min into my mash and the ****ing power goes out on a sun shining day.
If power doesn't come back on in the next 30 min I'll need to wait until tomorrow morning to finish. Do I need to do anything special to maintain the integrity of the wort so I can go to the boil tomorrow?
It's pretty warm here today, in the 70's but will get down to the 50s tonight.

No. I've seen people mash one day, cover then boil the next. Never done it. Just don't want to waste this batch.

Without a fully sanitary environment (and maybe even with one) the risk to letting unboiled wort sit overnight before putting it to a boil is ending up with a sour beer. If possible, bringing the wort to a boil for just one minute would reduce the risk immensely...

Cheers!

I primarily use electricity for brewing, but I still have my propane burner incase of power outages or a zombie apocalypse.

edit:
sorry no useful info to add, think I would collect and just hope for the best. Even if it does sours a boil the next day will stop it at whatever level it is and maybe the choice of hops might cover it up.

Without a fully sanitary environment (and maybe even with one) the risk to letting unboiled wort sit overnight before putting it to a boil is ending up with a sour beer. If possible, bringing the wort to a boil for just one minute would reduce the risk immensely...

Cheers!
I get that but if I recall there are people who mash one day and boil the next. I've read post about this on HBt but can't find it.
So has anyone done thus without infection or the beer going sour?

I’m probably too late to the party to be of much help, but Don Osborn goes through how he splits up brew day on his YouTube channel and he’s not had any issues. I’ve read of many people here doing it as well.

Dan

Too late to be of any help here, but I would love to know how this works out. First off, I don't think that overnight is too long to wait before a boil. Anything longer, and I would be inclined to chill the raw wort and keep it refrigerated until I was ready to boil. Having a propane burner on hand would give you a future option if an emergency generator costs too much :cool:

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement."

I ended up boiling last night. I did have a propane burner but my BIL had it and they live out of town. Only option was to boil once power came back on or wait til this morning. I'm sure it would be ok had I waited until this morning to boil but didn't want to take a chance on the wort souring.
Made for a long brew day but all done. Currently waiting for fermentation to start.

I ended up boiling last night. I did have a propane burner but my BIL had it and they live out of town. Only option was to boil once power came back on or wait til this morning. I'm sure it would be ok had I waited until this morning to boil but didn't want to take a chance on the wort souring.
Made for a long brew day but all done. Currently waiting for fermentation to start.

Awesome! , glad you got it done......the things we do for beer :bigmug:

Latest posts

Back