help please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mriccio3

Reaction score
Is there any way to get rid of the metallic aftertaste my stout has? I'm brewing a stout that I used chocolate powder with the can of Munton's mix and it is currently in week 4 of fermentation. Do I need to rack before bottling? Should I do a second fermentation? How?

is it metallic? or just bitter? I've had some green beer taste slightly metallic that went away after conditioning.

If you've had it in primary for 4 weeks, I wouldn't worry about secondary. I rack to a bottling bucket before bottling to mix my priming solution in. I would bottle it, let it condition for 2-3 weeks, taste it again and come back if it is still metallic.

Could be just very roasty/astringent - not familiar with Munton's. It's difficult to say without tasting it. I'd bottle and it's more likely that what you're getting will age out.

I had the same thing when I did a Chocolate Toffee Stout that used 6 lbs of Muntons Amber, that weird metallic taste goes away after bottle conditioning for a couple of weeks.

Back