Help picking a recipe for baptism gifts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
So I'm about to become a.dad for the first time. The wife's family is Catholic so we will be doing a baptism followed by dinner at some restaurant. As thank you gifts we are thinking about bottleing some homebrew in nice bottles with nice labels. I am looking for some input from you good folks on what beer to bottle. It needs to please craft beer drinkers as well as everyone else. So I'm thinking nothing to dark or overly hoppy. I'm not against adding fruit.

I have a few months so would love to try a few recipes then pick one.

What do you guys think? Have any crowd pleasing recipes you think would work?

Thanks in advance.

A Saison would be a good choice. Something Trappist inspired. I've been brewing some recipes from this site and have been pleased with them. Light, doesn't require a long aging. Bottle in Belgian 750 ml bottles with cork and wire bail.

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

...and congrats on the baby!

Thank you.

A saison is definitely a good idea. Also I have half a sack of pilsner malt and some 3711 kicking around.

The 750 belgian bottles with the cork and wire would be nice presentation

I agree with the saison...good beer for even those skeptical about some of the craft beer out there. Also, think about the stout idea or something along those lines. When my son was born 21 years ago, I wasn't homebrewing. Now that my new wife and I are trying for a child I have come up with a ten gallon sour that is aging right now, when she becomes pregnant, we will add fruit. It is aging in the crawl space below the house. When she delivers we arte going to bottle and release on each birthday leading up to the 21st. Cheesy, but I figured why the heck not.

Definitely a monk style beer. A tripel, or a patersbeir if you want a lower OG. I would look at Delirium or Spencer clones.

Patersbeir are basically the lower abv beers that the monks drink on a day to day basis. Stronger beers are reserved for feast days. Also called refectory beers.

I second teh saison idea. I posted this in a similar thread but Ive found that its the most widely appealing thing I give out to people. craft drinkers, BMC folks, wine drinking, and non-drinkers.

I got to cater a wedding and made 6 batches for it. Pale Ale, Cream Ale, Saison, Hefe, Porter, and American Wheat. Saison was gone before halfway through

Patersbier is a great idea. It has a church/monastery tie in, the great play on words, and it's a good beer for beer geeks and everyone else. That is, it's a simple recipe that BMC fans will like (Pilsner, some Continental hops, ferment with Trappist yeast) and the yeast provides wonderful complexity that the beer geeks will love.

I make patersbiers often with 1214 and they're awesome.

Patersbier is a great idea. It has a church/monastery tie in, the great play on words, and it's a good beer for beer geeks and everyone else. That is, it's a simple recipe that BMC fans will like (Pilsner, some Continental hops, ferment with Trappist yeast) and the yeast provides wonderful complexity that the beer geeks will love.

I make patersbiers often with 1214 and they're awesome.

Sounds like this may be the way to go. Do you have a recipe that you could share?

First, congrats! I agree with the saison or patersbier idea. Something Belgian will please most beer drinkers.

10 lbs of Pilsner, mashed around 148-49 with soft water, an ounce of northern Brewer or Tradition at 60, an ounce of Saaz at 10, then ferment with 1214/WLP500 at 62.

Thanks. I'll brew it this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Anyone else have a real crowd pleaser recipe?
Looking to brew a few then make my choice.

The Shipwreck Saison and Cottage House Saison in the recipe section are both really good crowd pleasers from my experience. I've backed the recipes down to a lower OG and removed the table sugar and produced beers that the non-craft beer drinkers really like and I've been happy with as well.

Back