Help on a First Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijp11

Reaction score
Looking for some help on my first stout try.
All grain

GRAIN BILL:
74.7% uk 2 row
5.3% roasted barley
5.3% biscut malt
5.3% chocolate malt
5.3% carafa I
2.7% rice hulls
1.3% caramel 120l
Percentages used as I scale down

Hops:
2-3 oz East kent Goldings

Yeast:
1-2 pkg wlp-007 dry english ale

Misc:
4 oz maple coffee beans

Mash:
155 for 70 min
Sparge 170 gor 15 min

Thanks in advance🍻

Im just coming off my first stout brew as well. Looks really similar to mine, except I had a little flaked something in there for body but thats not too important.

My one question or concern would be - will the c120 at 1% add much of anything in the presence of all those roasty additions?

Im just coming off my first stout brew as well. Looks really similar to mine, except I had a little flaked something in there for body but thats not too important.

My one question or concern would be - will the c120 at 1% add much of anything in the presence of all those roasty additions?

I was thinking mostly s color addition if anything but im not 100% on that. Howd your stout turn out?

I was thinking mostly s color addition if anything but im not 100% on that. Howd your stout turn out?

Colour?? Mate, your Stout will be dark as the night anyway with roughly 10% roasted stuff inside. :D

Speaking of which, the recipe looks solid to me. Although I never used biscuit malt, so I cannot give a comment on that.

As mentioned before, I would add ten % flaked barley for head and body and cut the base malt for this, but it is certainly not a must.

Looks good to me too. As stated above, this is going to be black, and its more like 15% roasted stuff with the carafa in there. I do like a bit of oats or flaked barley in my stouts also. Not essential but it makes for a fuller body without sweetening the beer too much.

Looks good to me too. As stated above, this is going to be black, and its more like 15% roasted stuff with the carafa in there. I do like a bit of oats or flaked barley in my stouts also. Not essential but it makes for a fuller body without sweetening the beer too much.

Woopsie, overlooked the carafa.

@op Don't go too rough on the roasted stuff, I would keep it in the ten percent range for the first Stout. More can easily get too much and ten percent works generally well.

I'll let you know in a few months. It's a cherry milk stout, so lots of potential for being a **** up. Good luck with yours!

Actually, biscuit is a lightly roasted malt, so you have over 21% roasted in there (16% of it dark), and basically no balancing crystal. I think it's off balance personally. I would include 5-10% of a medium crystal like 60L or 80L.

And actually, the roast percentage is even higher because rice hulls are not part of the bill of fermentables! So the total weight is less, making each grain's percentage relatively higher.

Actually, biscuit is a lightly roasted malt, so you have over 21% roasted in there (16% of it dark), and basically no balancing crystal. I think it's off balance personally. I would include 5-10% of a medium crystal like 60L or 80L.

And actually, the roast percentage is even higher because rice hulls are not part of the bill of fermentables! So the total weight is less, making each grain's percentage relatively higher.

Agree. Too much of the dark stuff, bring it down to 10%.

Thanks for the replies will for sure be taking out at least 10% roasted stuff

I figured I would post this here instead of making a new thread.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this recipe. I have never done a stout before and I'm think of scaling this down and doing a gallon or two on the stove top today.

6 gallon all grain BIAB

8# Pale Malt (2 Row)
4# Chocolate Malt
2# Flaked Barley
1# Crystal 40
1# Roasted Barley

1oz Northern Brewer 60min
1oz Cascade 20min
1oz East Kent 5 min

Wyeast #1056

I figured I would post this here instead of making a new thread.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this recipe. I have never done a stout before and I'm think of scaling this down and doing a gallon or two on the stove top today.

6 gallon all grain BIAB

8# Pale Malt (2 Row)
4# Chocolate Malt
2# Flaked Barley
1# Crystal 40
1# Roasted Barley

1oz Northern Brewer 60min
1oz Cascade 20min
1oz East Kent 5 min

Wyeast #1056

Almost 30% roasted malts, wayyyy too much of it. Bring the amount of chocolate and roasted barley down so that they are together at 10% of the grain bill.

Latest posts

Back