Help needed Lager fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcf

Reaction score
I am brewing my 1st batch of beer. The directions said primary fermentation should be 10-14 days. I'm at 9 and have had no activity today or yesterday. I have been reading mixed things, one saying let it go the full 14 before starting 2nd fermentation & the other saying to start 2nd fermentation after 2-3 days of inactivity & sitting too long w a yeast cake at the bottom is bad. What do I do? Please help!

What was the recipe, including the yeast strain, and what is the current temperature of the beer? That's important to know before telling you if your current batch is normal!

I bought a brewers best kit so I only know what they tell me.

6.6lb Munich lme
1 lb amber dme
Grains - 8 oz caramel 60L & 4 oz caramel 20L
1 oz bittering hops
1 oz flavoring hops
I Pack of lager yeast (idk brand because I threw it away after use. Packet said the yeast performs well @ both lager & ale temps)

Brought 2.5 gal h2o to 165 degrees and seeped grains for 20 min. Removed grains & brought to a boil. Added malt extracts & stirred continuously until back to boiling. Added bittering hops & boiled for 40 min. Added flavoring hops & boiled for 20 min. Cooled wort to 60 degrees in an ice bath. Strained hops out of wort & poured into the plastic bucket. Added 2.5 gal h2o at 60 degrees to wort. Didn't pitch the yeast because I didn't know about that until after I just sprinkled it into he wort. Stirred it in but didn't shake the bucket after I'd sealed it up.

Slow to start fermenting and at the fastest point the fermenting lock was bubbling every 4 seconds. I don't have a way to keep it between 50-59 so I put it in my mud room which stays in that temp cuz it's cold out but it changes in that range throughout the day.

That's all I can think of.

Btw, go Pack!

Sounds like you've got beer in the making.
I would not worry at all about "sitting on the yeast cake".
You could transfer to a secondary now or later, I don't think it will make a noticable difference. You could leave it in the primary for the full duration if you want.
I would leave it in the primary for the rest of the ferment, simply because I am lazy and everytime I open the lid is a slim chance of infection. But that's just me.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out.

By "2nd fermentation" do you mean transfer it to a secondary? If so, you want to wait until fermentation is complete before you do that, and the best way to do that is to use a hydrometer to take measurements and see if you are done. If, on the other hand, you are actually going to do a 2nd fermentation by adding more sugars, then I'm not really sure.

Take a reading with your hydrometer today. If it's above 1.020, then bring the fermenter someplace warmer. If it's at 1.020 or below, let it sit a couple of days and check it again.

Back