Help! Need source for copper fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
OK, I got some 1/2" O.D. flexible copper to built my wort chiller. Buddy had some laying around, cut the first couple inches off each end to get rid of two kinks and set out to build it like Bobby_M by coiling it and then soldering some elbow and solid pipe for the water line risers.

HOWEVER, I was unaware at the time that it was 1/2" O.D. pipe and that 1/2" and that standard 1/3" copper elbows would not fit! If this was 5/8" O.D. tubing I'd be set since 1/2" fittings work.

So, now I'm left with this half built wort chiller. Does anyone know of any suppliers that make fitting for 1/'2" O.D. tubing that can be soldered on? That brings me to the next problem, I would need some solid 1/2" O.D. pipe for the water line risers>

What a mess.

Take the whole thing to Lowes if you have one by you. If you can find something that will fit loosely, it most likely will seal up with enough solder. I used this method on my chiller when my compression fittings wouldn't seal up.

I cut about 4ft of both ends of an old 5/8" garden hose and hose clamped them over the copper pipe. Works like a champ.

I did find an online source but the 3/8" elbows are like $3.50 each compared to the standard 1/2" ones at $.50! The source did not have any short lengths of 1/2 O.D. (3/8" I.D.) pipe to make the risers.

I'll keep searching but I think my first AG batch this weekend is quickly going by the wayside.

Back