Help, my Keezer is no longer cooling....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorMag

Reaction score
Went to pour myself a pint last night and it was warm. The power is still going on the unit put no cold...... Any ideas?

This is a repost of something I previously wrote:

I have replaced a faulty thermostat with an OEM replacement part on one freezer and replaced a broken starter relay with a Supco 3 'n 1 on another. Neither was a particularly difficult repair and both were cheap parts at $15 and $10 respectively.

If you don't hear the compressor come on at all then the thermostatic temperature control may be the problem. Luckily that was the issue with one of mine and after spending $15 for a new thermostat and about 15 minutes of work I was back in business.

If you hear the compressor cut on for a few seconds then cut off, in my experience that is likely a problem with the starter relay.
If your fridge is new enough you may be able to get an OEM replacement but I could not so I used the Supco 410 model from amazon.

Disclaimer: I am not trained in freezer repair and only know enough to be considered dangerous.

This is a repost of something I previously wrote:

I have replaced a faulty thermostat with an OEM replacement part on one freezer and replaced a broken starter relay with a Supco 3 'n 1 on another. Neither was a particularly difficult repair and both were cheap parts at $15 and $10 respectively.

If you don't hear the compressor come on at all then the thermostatic temperature control may be the problem. Luckily that was the issue with one of mine and after spending $15 for a new thermostat and about 15 minutes of work I was back in business.

If you hear the compressor cut on for a few seconds then cut off, in my experience that is likely a problem with the starter relay.
If your fridge is new enough you may be able to get an OEM replacement but I could not so I used the Supco 410 model from amazon.

Disclaimer: I am not trained in freezer repair and only know enough to be considered dangerous.

Thanks. I did notice a couple weeks back a lot of frost/ice in the keezer, which had not previously been an issue.

Thanks. I did notice a couple weeks back a lot of frost/ice in the keezer, which had not previously been an issue.

That's typically indicative of refrigerant loss causing "flashing" of what's left.
Usually as the situation progresses the ice recedes to one corner of the cabinet.
Prognosis is poor...

That's typically indicative of refrigerant loss causing "flashing" of what's left.
Usually as the situation progresses the ice recedes to one corner of the cabinet.
Prognosis is poor...

That's what I was wondering, if it was low refrigerant. Can that be replaced like an A/C unit?

Prognosis is poor...

I've been through this before. Ice accumulating in one spot inside the freezer. It was the beginning of the end for that freezer.

That's what I was wondering, if it was low refrigerant. Can that be replaced like an A/C unit?

Anything can be repaired, but you have to consider the cost of the repair vs replacing. I don't think these freezers have a refrigerant port, so the repair would involve cutting into the copper loop and adding one, then vaccuming out the air, then charging with new refrigerant. [guessing here] Onsite repair by AC guy would probably be $150 - $200.

If you're OK with used equipment, you can replace almost any size freezer for less than that off craigslist. You can find 7cuft and smaller NEW for less than that.

If it's some sort of elaborate keezer you've built, maybe the repair is worth it to you. If it was mine, I know I could remove the collar off mine and put it on a new one pretty quickly, so I'd definitely be replacing it.

I've been through this before. Ice accumulating in one spot inside the freezer. It was the beginning of the end for that freezer.

Anything can be repaired, but you have to consider the cost of the repair vs replacing. I don't think these freezers have a refrigerant port, so the repair would involve cutting into the copper loop and adding one, then vaccuming out the air, then charging with new refrigerant. [guessing here] Onsite repair by AC guy would probably be $150 - $200.

If you're OK with used equipment, you can replace almost any size freezer for less than that off craigslist. You can find 7cuft and smaller NEW for less than that.

If it's some sort of elaborate keezer you've built, maybe the repair is worth it to you. If it was mine, I know I could remove the collar off mine and put it on a new one pretty quickly, so I'd definitely be replacing it.

I bought my freezer off of Craigslist, so no idea how old it actually is. I built mine with the idea of being able to move the collar. Drip tray is also held on by magnets, so not a difficult task of moving.

I bought my freezer off of Craigslist, so no idea how old it actually is. I built mine with the idea of being able to move the collar. Drip tray is also held on by magnets, so not a difficult task of moving.

If it has a label with manufacturer info and part number the date it was made is usually on there as well.

Back