Help! Mold in LME, and lots of it.. Toss it or use it ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toss it or use it ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AnbyG

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just opened my 30 lb LME container and noticed huge amounts of mold in it. I had opened it once couple of weeks back to brew a couple of batches. Despite all my attempts in sealing properly & disinfecting with bleach wipes it got contaminated. The whole thing stinks of mold right now. I have attached some photographs here.

What should I do with this now ? Should I toss it or use it by skimming the top and boiling the **** out of the malt extract in an attempt to kill whatever spores that could have gotten in the boil kettle post skimming ?

Thanks,

Anby

IMG_20180304_124322.jpg
IMG_20180304_124327.jpg
IMG_20180304_124333.jpg

I rarely say this (as I've a high threshold for mold and grime generally) - but even I'd bin that - it looks like it'll be tainted

If it was a steak, I'd rinse, season, get some flames under it - and still eat it blue

I've read that surface mold on LME isn't really a problem other than the "ick" factor. It might not taste good, though. I've read that you can just scrape the mold off and use the extract.

So, make beer and serve your mother in law? :)
That's a good reference, thanks.
I don't think that anyone who has routinely scraped or cut mold off of food and eaten it should start worrying now. I know I won't worry, but I may start discarding it.

Back