Help me with an American Wheat on steroids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southwood

Reaction score
I had an image of a satisying American Honey Wheat for the summer, so this is what I did:

3.3 lbs. Wheat LME
2.5 lbs. X-tra light DME
2 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey

1/2 lb. Honey Malt
1/2 lb. Flaked Wheat

1 oz. Hallertau @ 4.0% (60 min)
1/2 oz. Hallertau @ 4.2 (5 min)

WLP001 in 1L starter

The thing is, I ended up with an OG of 1.062 @ 76 deg. and the spreadsheet says I've got 9 IBU's (whoops:eek: )
The brew's been in primary for 8 days & it's still bubbling @ 5-/min.

If you found yourself in this situation, would you:

1. Add something (fruit puree/exract/hop tea) to secondary.
-or-
2. RDWHAHB:)

How does it taste? 9 IBUs is low for that beer, but not so far south that you will necessarily hate it.
If you like it then do #2.
If you don't like it, do #2 anyway :mug:
and then boil up a hop tea to make up the IBUs.

Here we are at day 10 and the airlock is still chugging along at around 6/min. I opened the bucket to take a gravity reading & she's still got a thick krausen on her. SG=1.020. If my WLP001 pulls off 75% attenuation, it should drive the FG down to around 1.015 or so.

I drank the sample and found it to be sweet (duh), but clean. When calculating my IBU's, I forgot to factor in the extract-late method I used, so I think my actual IBU's are higher than previously stated.

I don't think I'm going to monkey around too much with this one, just let her do her thing.:)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers! :mug:

Back