Help me with a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muels

Reaction score
Would like to do an IPA with 4 of the C hops and call it C4. I am happy with the grain bill but would like some help with the hops.

I'm thinking Cascade, Centennial, CTZ, Citra. Any input on the grain bill or scheduling the hops would be great. Which combination would make the most sense for bitter, flavor and aroma.

10lbs 2 row
2 lbs Vienna
8 oz Carapils
8 oz C20

Mash at 150

.75 oz CTZ @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Centennial @ 5
1 oz Citra @ flameout/whirlpool

1 oz dry hop of centennial or Citra

Thanks in advance

Muels

Looks OK. I'd lower or drop the carapils, but it wil not make much difference.

Citra is a good hop. I have one going right now. Seems like hops are on the low side, but I've been over-doing it to the extent that commercial beers seem tame these days.

Add more late addition hops...up it to 2 oz at flameout and dry hop with 2 oz.. Seems a bit much but you will enjoy it more....

Add more late addition hops...up it to 2 oz at flameout and dry hop with 2 oz.. Seems a bit much but you will enjoy it more....

This.

What I usually do with my IPA's is add all my IBU's at fwh then add nothing until the whirlpool additions. For a 5 gallons batch i use at least 3 oz's but lately I've been using 4-5 oz's. Get the beer down to 190-180* F and put all the hops in. Stir it up and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. Then chill down the rest of the way, pitch yeast and call it a day.
You'll get a nice, flavorful, resiny, beer that you'll enjoy a lot! :ban:

I have to second that.

Since I've been no chilling I do all my hop additions at FWH and dry hop and my IPA's are delicious.

Some recipes I will add some transfer hops which would give you near a 20 minute addition but I haven't noticed a huge difference and those beers still needed significant (2 oz) dry hop to archive the flavor/aroma I'm looking for.

I really don't find any additions in between the FWH and dry hop improve the beer and might just be a waste a lot of the time.

Just my experience and it would be fair to say that someone who does a rapid chill would extract more hop oils from the late additions whereas my beers are standing at a higher temp for longer.

I have to second that.

Since I've been no chilling I do all my hop additions at FWH and dry hop and my IPA's are delicious.

Some recipes I will add some transfer hops which would give you near a 20 minute addition but I haven't noticed a huge difference and those beers still needed significant (2 oz) dry hop to archive the flavor/aroma I'm looking for.

I really don't find any additions in between the FWH and dry hop improve the beer and might just be a waste a lot of the time.

Just my experience and it would be fair to say that someone who does a rapid chill would extract more hop oils from the late additions whereas my beers are standing at a higher temp for longer.

My last beer I did an ice bath in the sink because it was only a 3 gallons batch I brewed on my stove and I didn't feel like breaking out the IC. I just waited until the wort go down to 180 then I added the whirlpool hop addition and continued to add ice to the water to cool the beer down the rest of the way. It worked pretty well! That way you don't extract any bitterness from the wort being too hot. You'll only get the resins and aroma. Mmmmmmm....

This.

What I usually do with my IPA's is add all my IBU's at fwh then add nothing until the whirlpool additions. For a 5 gallons batch i use at least 3 oz's but lately I've been using 4-5 oz's. Get the beer down to 190-180* F and put all the hops in. Stir it up and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. Then chill down the rest of the way, pitch yeast and call it a day.

You'll get a nice, flavorful, resiny, beer that you'll enjoy a lot! :ban:

+1 I started this also only three additions bittering I aim for 100+ IBU on the computer with warrior or magnum and 4 oz whirlpool and 4 oz dryhop

Think I'll keep the schedule and up the amounts of whirlpool and dry hop to 2oz each. This has got me interested in fwh'ing though.

Back