help me with a pale ale please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpwater

Reaction score
I want to do a partial mash pale ale and can't come up with a good grain mix. I would like to use 5 to 6 lbs. because with that amount my kettle is full.That may not make sense but it seems to hold the heat in much better. I was thinking about 3 lbs. 2 row and a couple more that would give me at least 5 lb. I will be using some lme.. maybe 3 lb. I have searched on here but cant find the answer.If this sounds crazy its cause my brain cells have been taking a beating the last few days. :drunk: Help fill my kettle please..

I like to use a pound or so of crystal, and maybe another "character malt" like Munich in an APA.

How about:
.5 pound crystal 10L
.5 pound crystal 60L
1 pound Munich malt
3 pounds two-row

i use:

5 lbs DME
2lbs 2-row
1 lbs Vienna
.5 buiscuit
.25 Caramel -20L

I wouldn't use too much caramel malt unless you dont mind it tasting more like an English Pale Ale. Just my experience.

I only PM with 4 lbs of grain, but you could probably scale it up. Not an English Pale Ale, just liked using the British 2-Row for a little more malty character. Still very much a hop focused pale ale.

4.5 lbs. Light DME (53.2%)
1.83 lbs. British 2-Row (21.6%)
.75 lbs. Munich (Light) (8.9%)
.75 lbs. Crystal 40L (8.9%)
.38 lbs. Victory (4.5%)
.25 lbs. Carapils (3%)

Full recipe is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/buddy-pass-pale-ale-242126/

Back