help me to fix my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pietrach

Reaction score
Hi
I made up a pretty standard recipe for a dry stout as I wanted a simple one to use as a baseline, and then start building it up to eventually after few brews achieve my ideal stout.
So I did a small batch (7litres) BIAB for the following grain bill:
65% pale malt
5% road barley
5% chocolate malt
25% flaked barley
The mash started at 68deg and ended after 120 minutes (got engaged with something else) at 63deg (I need to improve on this).
Then I messed up and ended up with 7 litres going into the fermenter, whereas the above recipe I made was for 6 litres to achieve OG 1.049. As such I achieved only 1.043 which I found out only next day. A mistake.
As such I knew it may end up a bit watery. However, with 25% of flaked barley I was still expecting this to be a pretty 'dense' beer with heavy mouthfeel and smooth texture.
It fermented very quickly down to 1.013 within 24hours using Danstar Notingham Ale yeast. I was surpriced by that and it was the first time I actually missed the fermentation. The carboy was dirty from krausen right to the top so it did happen, but very quickly. It sat in fermenter for 12 days in temperature around 21deg. Then in the same temperature in the bottle for another 8 weeks.
The hops were Magnum 60min boil to get IBU of 37.
I had a tasting last few days and my impression is that the mouthfeel is as per standard pale ale. Feels thin with no silky texture at all. The taste is good, slightly too much burnt flavour, but the taste does not stay for long.
I gave few to friends and the feedback is similar:
- tasty but taste disappears very quickly
- feels thin for a stout.

My questions are:
- Putting the calculation error aside for now, what could be the reason the 25% flaked barley addition did not contribute to silky 'dense' texture?
- What could be done to make the flavour stay for longer?

Thank you

Nottingham ferments very dry (and makes a thinner stout). I have switched to S-04 in my stouts.

In my last stout, I did a side-by-side with the two. I prefer S-04.
I know you are shooting for a dry stout, but if you want more body I'd give S-04 a shot.

Another thing... low ABV and high attenuation is a bad combination.

Nottingham is a better choice with a higher starting gravity. If you really want a low ABV, then a change of yeast should improve the mouth feel.

I'd say you also want to take a look at your water. Stout is a style that you can have the best recipe and technique in the world but if your water profile can't support it, you will never brew an above average stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back