Help me take my BIAB system up to the next level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A grain mill is a good choice, but don't cheap out on this. I started out with a Barley Crusher and while this lasted me about 75 brew days, I was always unhappy with the fact that it would often stop grinding due to the second roller failing to engage, even after many adjustments to the gap. I ended up getting a 3 roller Monster Mill and the difference is amazing! Before, I had to mill the grain twice, but now this is unnecessary and the MM3 runs through grain much faster than the BC. Remember, buy once, cry once!

The nice thing about having your own grain mill is that you can set your own gap to optimize your efficiency. I'm at about 80+ on most BIAB brews and I believe this is mostly due to my gap setting.

I don't like to brew in my garage, I want to brew in my kitchen, even though it involves set-up and take-down each time. A 10 gallon pot with a 3500W induction cooker (needing a 120 to 220V adapter) and a Wilser bag is what works for me. I dunk-sparge and I cool with an Exchilerator. I think I'm going to buy a grain mill, and then I'll be set for a while!

Do you have any info on this 120 to 220v adapter? I didn't know that existed. Are there any requirements to use something like that (i.e. minimum amperage for a circuit)?

Do you have any info on this 120 to 220v adapter? I didn't know that existed. Are there any requirements to use something like that (i.e. minimum amperage for a circuit)?

They don't really exist. Seemingly unlike most brewers I'm not much of a DIY-er ... so I paid an electrician to make one for me.
:ghostly:

Well here it is June and I only yesterday started my first new batch by making the yeast starter. It is currently spinning away on my DIY stir plate.

And here is the funny thing. As I was going through my equipment, looking to see what I have, I'd totally forgotten about the sous vide machine being part of my beer setup. I had looked to see if we still had the towels and fleece jacket that I always used to cover the kettle for mashing and it never crossed my mind.

I've since learned how to make a killer steak with the sous vide too, and have had some success with salmon. I also used it to make Pastrami and it was yummy. The main trick is to dry off the steak thoroughly and then put butter on, and make sure the grill or pan is very hot so it sears the meat instantly. Two minutes per side will nicely char it and it is perfectly cooked inside.

The other thing I realized is that my wife stole the turkey baster from my kit so I need to get a new one. I would use it to pull wort/beer for gravity checks. I know there are specialized tools for this but a turkey baster is easy and I can go to Target to get one today.

So in my future I see pastrami sandwiches washed down with beer. mmmmm.

Back