Help me stop Diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
I've had this problem for a long time with my ales. Ive used different yeasts with little results, I still get that butterscotch flavor. My ales typically sit in primary 2-3 weeks before racking to a keg, this is usually a few days to a week after gravity stabilizes.

Should I just let them sit longer? It seems like it should be cleared up by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had this problem for a long time with my ales. Ive used different yeasts with little results, I still get that butterscotch flavor. My ales typically sit in primary 2-3 weeks before racking to a keg, this is usually a few days to a week after gravity stabilizes.

Should I just let them sit longer? It seems like it should be cleared up by then.

Could you give us some idea of what strains you use, how much yeast you pitch, how you aerate and what sort of fermentation temp profile you use? Any of those factors might play some role.

Butterscotch or butter? To me, diacetyl comes off more like movie popcorn butter. There's also the tell tale mouthfeel (oily, slick, soapy). Butterscotch may be just kettle caramelization.

Once I moved to temp controlled environment when fermenting my beer moved to a new and exciting level.

How are you fermenting?

I use mostly dry yeast, Nottingham is my go to.

I have an STC1000 and a fridge for control, I try to ferment low, I did my my most recent in the 61 degree range.

I had what I thought was the same issue but pinned it down to Carpils. Every time I used a significant amount of carapils, I got a bit of a butterscotch flavor. Are you using it by any chance?

I have an STC1000 and a fridge for control, I try to ferment low, I did my my most recent in the 61 degree range.

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of someone getting any significant diacetyl from Notty.

May I suggest that, once activity starts to noticeably taper off, you let the temp come up on its own to around 66*F. I've started beers with Notty as low as 55*F (beer temp), but I always finish them around 65-66*F. I've never had any hint of diacetyl in any of those beers.

You also may want to rehydrate before pitching if you don't already do so.

A D-rest at 60-70% of expected attenuation is always an option. I have never had a beer that "suffered" from a D-rest.

Might not have any diacetyl going into the D-rest and shouldn't have any coming out.

FWIW,
I love Nottingham!! I ferm it for 7 days each at 62/65/68. For a total of 3 weeks. Ive done 2 batches at 5 days each at those 3 temps, 15 days total. Very clean as well. Never any off flavors.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

When fermentation is slowing down don't be afraid to let the temperature rise to the higher end of the yeast's recommended range. It helps the yeast finish their job and remove the off flavors that we hate in the finished product.

Back