Help me spend my money!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fimpster

Reaction score
I've recently moved to all grain brewing. My current equipment is a 16 gallon Bayou Classic BK, KAB4 (banjo) burner, 10 gal round cooler MLT w/ bazooka screen, my old 5 gallon SS stockpot as HLT, and 3/8" x 50' SS IC. My brewing is done on an old, heavy folding table.

I've decided I am not going to lift and pour any more hot sparge water, nor lift heavy kettles full of wort and tuns full of mash from the ground to the table. This morning I ordered another KAB4 burner from Amazon, I went to Lowe's for 2X4's and cement backer to build a platform to act as a 3rd tier on top of my table, and I was about ready to pull the trigger on a new 15 gal MegaPot 1.2 (I would have used it as BK and moved my Bayou classic to HLT). As I was measuring the heights of my equipment to start building the third tier, I realized that additional burner and kettle tier were going to be up fairly high. :eek:

I realized that for less cost than a new burner and 15 gal kettle I could buy a March/Chugger pump and convert a 2nd round cooler for my HLT. Doing this I would also only need 2 tiers which I basically already have (ground level and table).

So which upgrade do HBT'ers think I should make and why? And is there another option I haven't considered? I ended up canceling my 2nd burner order because I'm leaning toward the pump and cooler HLT option at the moment. Looking to the future I can see myself eventually building up to a single tier HERMS, and doing the occasional 10 gal batch, so I want to make smart buying choices today.

I have $400-500, help me spend my ca$h, HBT!!

stir plate, yes (will be here this week, yay!)
siphons, yes
controlled ferm temps, yes
lager/cold crash, no
kegging, kind of (not really). I have several Party Pigs, but I prefer stubby's (bomber bottles). I'm not in a hurry to keg.

My setup is currently a 10g cooler mash tun and 5g cooler HLT with an 8g boil kettle. I currently have a chugger pump I use to transfer my liquids from kettle to mash and to recirculate at the end of mash. I use a 3 tier system, but am considering 2 tier since I have the current option.

I do suggest purchasing a pump. Only about $100-$125.

I am having the thought of what to upgrade next as well. One suggestion I've heard of lately is the option of step mashing with a SS mash tun instead of the cooler. Cooler only allows a single temp mash. Apparently you can get more out of a multi step mash such as mouthfeel and body.

That would mean another kettle w/ falsebottle and burner.

Just my $.02

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd definitely say cold crashing and kegging. But I don't get the point of these multi tier advanced rims/herms setups.
Does it make traditional mash tun setups easier somehow? Faster? Better beer? Or just for efficiency?
Doing it for efficiency seems rather silly.

All my upgrades are aimed at making brewing easier, and my brewday faster. Techniques and practice makes better beer than spending money on stuff will.

I agree that better techniques and practice, make better beer than fancy equipment does. And just like pricelessbrewing said, all my upgrades are aimed at making my brew day easier.

That's why I was asking about adding another burner and kettle or another cooler (HLT) and pump. I am trying to make my brew day easier. I am no fan of lifting heavy and/or hot kettles and coolers. Right now I am trying to focus on easing the pre-fermentation side of brewing, as I am very happy with my post-fermentation setup, which has worked well for me through for over 40 extract batches. Since I'm new to AG, the pre-fermentation side is what I'm looking to make easier.

I think I am still leaning towards building a HLT from a 10 gal round cooler and buying a pump and all associated fittings/hardware.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I'd love to hear anything else people have to add.

Fimpster, I am of the same though as you as well as having about the same brewing equipment. I've got about 40 AG batches under my belt and am not getting any younger. The lifting and pouring is getting old. I want to see where this thread leads.

Well, I went ahead and ordered a Chugger and Camlocks, and bought a 2nd cooler for my HLT. The pump wont be here in time for tomorrows brew day, so hopefully it will be my last time lifting and pouring.

I would have also gone with the cooler HLT and the pump. If you have money left over, if you don't have it, an oxygen stone kit is a good investment. A dedicated beer fridge (also can be used for lagering) is a wonderful luxury.

Back