help me solve my dms problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
So I have brewed two all grain batches so far. Both had high amounts of pilsner malts and both have a dms off flavor. Both also had a 90 minute boil and cooled to below 70°F in 40 mins.

I did not detect any dms flavor in either beer until after they were bottled and partially carbed.

The first batch was a dunkelweizen and I did have it covered off and on during the 90 minute boil. Overall I would guess it was covered for about 30% of the boile. I kept it covered while I was cooling also. The source for dms in this batch seems to be a no brainer.

Again I will state that I did not detect the flavor until after it had carbed. The intensity of the flavor seemed to be related to how much sediment got into the glass. ( this applies to both batches)

The second batch was a Belgian trippel. I kept it uncovered during the entire 90 minute boil. I did however cover it during the cooling stage. I tasted this beer right out of the primary before bottling and it was delicious ( lots of alcohol but still good). A few weeks into the bottle age and it had the exact same dms flavor as it's predecessor.

At least for the scold batch I thought I had taken the steps to reduce dms content:

1. Boil the entire wort 90 minutes or longer
2. Ensure that the boil is vigorous - rolling
3. Allow at least 8% evaporation
4. Minimize the hot wort standing time
5. Rapidly cool the

Does any one have some light to shed on toe subject?

The Wiki site says certain yeasts can add to the flavor of DMS. Were you using similar yeasts for both batches?

Other than that, have you changed what you prime with recently? Maybe its not DMS you are tasting but whatever sugar you are using to prime with?

H-ost said:
The Wiki site says certain yeasts can add to the flavor of DMS. Were you using similar yeasts for both batches?

Other than that, have you changed what you prime with recently? Maybe its not DMS you are tasting but whatever sugar you are using to prime with?

Both were Belgian yeasts.
Weihenstephan #3068 for dunkelweizen and
Wyeast. 1214 for trippel

I used wheat dmelendez to prime dunked and boiled cane sugar fir the trippel.

I never even cover my beer during the cooling stage...and I chill it outside with the garden hose because the water is cooler running through my wort chiller.

I think covering the pot is a big no no...The steam will allow some of the DMS to dissipate.

Weihenstephan needs to bottle condition. Let the yeast finish the job. Weihenstephan yeast is a producer of clove banana. You probably are just not waiting long enough. Give both batches six months of set and forget time.

I bet they will be good. 3068 is german yeast and if you fermented too hot it will be a stinky butt mess...Hhehehe...3068 will ferment hot but boy does it leave some off gassy stench. Good luck. Let the 3068 stuff condition. Even the 1214 will need bottle conditioning.

90 days...if it still sucks cook it off in food or give it away.

OldWorld nailed it....If you're doing a pilsner keep the lids off. Also, 40 minutes is a little too long to cool down a pilsner. You'll need to get below 160and to pitching temps ASAP. That way you'll have a lot less DMS reforming in the initial wort and a better chance to clear DMS developed from the yeast strain, through aging.

The 3068 beer has been bottled for about 3 months now and the dms is starting to fade. But so is the banana clove flavor ;(

The tripple has only been bottled for a month now. It needs more time.

Back