Help me solve a mystery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rappell

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The facts; I tapped a new corney keg of IPA in my kegerator. I had two glasses out of the 5 gal keg. 24 hour later I went to get another glass and the keg is empty! What the hell?

Clues; there is a small amount of the beer, about a cup, in the bottom of the kegerator. There is evidence of dried foam around the gas in connector. The keg is bone dry. My co2 tank is empty.

Where the hell did the beer go? If it pumped out of the keg liquid side it should have been all over the floor.

Dumbfounded

homer_drinks_from_beer_tap.jpg

you have no C02 so there is nothing to push the beer out.

If the kegs really empty there is 4.9 gallons of beer on the floor. You're not going to miss that.

That leaves us the possibilities

1: Beer in keg with no pressure to push it out
2: Drunken thieves/teenagers
3. Squirrels or other local faunae have developed a taste for hoppy IPA, rapidly evolved the motor skills required to dispense and serve beer whilst only spilling a cup over the course of emptying a keg and closed the fridge door after themselves. Pigs with opposable thumbs is not completely ruled out but my guess would be squirrels. The squirrelly bas'tids

Does your CO2 tank make a sloshing sound when you shake it?

Really, though... I can't imagine what would have happened.

Connections reversed? Some corny kegs have a short gas in dip tube that might have been long enough to draw a couple of pints?

Your liquid line is frozen because it was laying against the side of the freezing kegerator wall.

Edit: Oh, I missed the part that the CO2 was empty and the keg was empty...Demsome thirsty cockroaches!:)

Your liquid line is frozen because it was laying against the side of the freezing kegerator wall.

But then the keg wouldn't be empty, just unable to pour. It should be fairly easy to determine if the keg is actually empty vs. just not pouring.

Methinks someone is trolling you, OP. Or vice versa. ;)

If there is some beer in the bottom of the keggerator, then maybe the rest is inside the actual keggerator housing!?! Soaked into insulation and puddle in the base? That would suck. I would imagine the keggerator would never be the same!

But then the keg wouldn't be empty, just unable to pour. It should be fairly easy to determine if the keg is actually empty vs. just not pouring.

Methinks someone is trolling you, OP. Or vice versa. ;)

The liquid line freezing happened to me earlier this week, so looked like easy pick'ns.

he is leaving something out. Like the kegerator is sitting over a drain in his basement...

Ok here are some follow up. No kids, wife not mad, she didn't drink it. Lines not reversed and nothing in either the keg or co2 tank. Only sign of the beer at all was a lot of dried foam on the gas in connector and about a cup of beer in the bottom of kegerator. It's located in the living room on carpet. Carpet is not wet.......

The facts; I tapped a new corney keg of IPA in my kegerator. I had two glasses out of the 5 gal keg. 24 hour later I went to get another glass and the keg is empty! What the hell?

Clues; there is a small amount of the beer, about a cup, in the bottom of the kegerator. There is evidence of dried foam around the gas in connector. The keg is bone dry. My co2 tank is empty.

Where the hell did the beer go? If it pumped out of the keg liquid side it should have been all over the floor.

Dumbfounded

Freaking beer gnomes, man. They get a lot of my beer, too.

If there is some beer in the bottom of the keggerator, then maybe the rest is inside the actual keggerator housing!?! Soaked into insulation and puddle in the base? That would suck. I would imagine the keggerator would never be the same!

If everything you've said is correct, this is the only thing I can think of.

Do you take Ambien? Just asking because it used to make my wife trip out with no recollection.....

That or I am going with the gnomes, sneaky but skillful rascals they are.

Was there a lot of beer residue in the keg or stickiness? CO2 might have been blowing into the keg, then out through the mis-connected line all night and evaporated your beer. A little splashing when you first turned on the CO2 would explain the beer at the bottom of the chamber, and the dried foam would be consistent with an evaporation incident. Maybe you effectively freeze dried your beer?

again.....

9189283.jpg

5 gallons is a ton of beer to only leave a cup behind in the bottom of your keggerator. I had a keg leak a gallon or so out of a faulty liquid post. made a huge mess. All 5 would be very noticeable.

You sure its the same keg? I played this trick on my brew buddy once and swapped all his full kegs with my empties. :)

Ok here are some follow up. No kids, wife not mad, she didn't drink it. Lines not reversed and nothing in either the keg or co2 tank. Only sign of the beer at all was a lot of dried foam on the gas in connector and about a cup of beer in the bottom of kegerator. It's located in the living room on carpet. Carpet is not wet.......

Did you smell the carpet?

Could it have soaked into a large enough area that it's already dried out?

Seems unlikely though.

Back