Help me sleep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneandone

Reaction score
Finally did my first brew. A 5 gallon kolsch with omega kivek OYL-071. Everything went great. Right before I pitched I added water to get just to 5 gallons. I had a gallon of spring water but wasn’t enough. I grabbed my Brita jug to top off the last two cups needed to get her to 5 gallons. After I did that i looked at the brita and I small a couple black spots that I believe to be slight mold. I’ve been drinking out of the same filter for some time now and I’m fine but I’m more worried about the beer. It’s day 2 and she’s bubbling good from the ferment. Should I be worried that I messed this up and infected my beer and it’ll taste like crap?Some one please just tell me so I can sleep at night hahaha.

*** Keep In mind i poured the brita water into a freshly sanitized pitcher and then poured it into my wort***

Sometimes, a black spot is just a black spot.

You don‘t know if you put mold into the fermenter. Yeast, especially something which ferments quite aggressively as the Kviek strains can, will literally suck all the oxygen out of the room leaving nothing for any nasties to get started with. So, don’t lose any sleep over this batch. You’ll have plenty of of time for real screwups later. :cool:

Finally did my first brew. A 5 gallon kolsch with omega kivek OYL-071. Everything went great. Right before I pitched I added water to get just to 5 gallons. I had a gallon of spring water but wasn’t enough. I grabbed my Brita jug to top off the last two cups needed to get her to 5 gallons. After I did that i looked at the brita and I small a couple black spots that I believe to be slight mold. I’ve been drinking out of the same filter for some time now and I’m fine but I’m more worried about the beer. It’s day 2 and she’s bubbling good from the ferment. Should I be worried that I messed this up and infected my beer and it’ll taste like crap?Some one please just tell me so I can sleep at night hahaha.

*** Keep In mind i poured the brita water into a freshly sanitized pitcher and then poured it into my wort***
Obviously mold is no joke, but I'd bet your beer is going to turn out fine. Be sure to examine your fermenter closely once you transfer out of it, especially the ring left from the top of the liquid around the edge. That would probably be the most likely spot for the mold to take hold. If you have a clear fermenter, you may see mold develop on top of the krausen. I'll let someone smarter than me tell you what to do then. Good luck!

damn, i tried so hard to find a youtube clip of voyager's futere's end where starling said "and i don't even like the color, lose some sleep over this"

The black in the Brita is as likely charcoal from the filter as anything else. Was it in the top or bottom of the pitcher?
I would say to change the filter out to be certain, but your beer should still be fine.

I wish but they are black spots/spore looking pieces.
As embarrassing as it is I took a picture before I threw it away

Attachments

• F575D1C4-F15B-414B-8387-BE3C983C1466.png
    F575D1C4-F15B-414B-8387-BE3C983C1466.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
Thanks guys. Def gonna have a good night sleep haha. Besides seeing something off on the Krausen. Anything else I should be alert to? I’ll be testing gravity in a few days.

I wish but they are black spots/spore looking pieces.
As embarrassing as it is I took a picture before I threw it away
Looks like the nooks and crannies of my margaritaville frozen drink maker i discovered one time. Gave it a thorough cleaning after that. We never did get sick, but my wife says I'm kinda stupid now... probably unrelated.

Back