Help me save my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA with wlp099 high gravity yeast last week with an OG of 1.064. I just pulled a reading and it's down to 1.000. I mashed at 158 hoping to create some unfermentable sugars but this was not the case. The taste is straight alcohol at 8.5%. What can I do to make this beer drinkable? I was thinking I can try to turn it into an imperial stout by steeping A LOT of specialty malts for 30min and adding it to the fermenter, has anyone tried anything like this before?

I was thinking I would steep Something like:

1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

I just need to make sure that the remaining yeast don't eat these sugars that I add. Any ideas?

From 64 points to zero?
Those yeast are on the juice! :D

Maybe the best thing would be to age the heck out of it and then blend it with something far tamer...

Cheers!

i'm with day on this 1... can't add anything those yeasties won't eat (probably even eat rice hulls somehow :eek: , not that that would do any good ). might want to do something pretty malty and go 1/2 and 1/2 in your glass

dgoldb1 said:
I brewed an IPA with wlp099 high gravity yeast last week with an OG of 1.064. I just pulled a reading and it's down to 1.000. I mashed at 158 hoping to create some unfermentable sugars but this was not the case. The taste is straight alcohol at 8.5%. What can I do to make this beer drinkable? I was thinking I can try to turn it into an imperial stout by steeping A LOT of specialty malts for 30min and adding it to the fermenter, has anyone tried anything like this before?

I just need to make sure that the remaining yeast don't eat these sugars that I add. Any ideas?

Are you sure your reasons are correct? Calibrated hydrometer? Calibrated thermometer?

Unless there is an infection going on it would be pretty difficult for typical yeast to chew through all that to a 0 reading.

If you mashed much lower your wort was highly fermentable

If your instruments are not calibrated then everything is off

Are you using a refractometer? They really aren't great with the presence of alcohol, even with conversion tables

Isn't there something I can add to the beer to kill the yeast? I could always heat it up to about 140 and then add my specialty grains.

Are you sure your reasons are correct? Calibrated hydrometer? Calibrated thermometer?

Unless there is an infection going on it would be pretty difficult for typical yeast to chew through all that to a 0 reading.

If you mashed much lower your wort was highly fermentable

If your instruments are not calibrated then everything is off

Are you using a refractometer? They really aren't great with the presence of alcohol, even with conversion tables

Yes. Im sure it´s 1.000. It's the WLP099 (high gravity yeast) that did it. It's a distillers yeast. The homebrew shop was out of the san Diego super yeast so I just grabbed the 099 for some reason.

^ As he's mentioned it a few times, I think he got that.

I shudder to think of pasteurizing home brew, but to do much with this boozy batch it may take just that...

Cheers!

What was your original grain bill please? 158 isn't that high of a temp in my book. (My book is a tad twisted)

What was your original grain bill please? 158 isn't that high of a temp in my book. (My book is a tad twisted)

14 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
1.0 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 60 min Hops
0.5 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 45 min Hops
1.0 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 30 min Hops
1.0 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 15 min Hops
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc
0.5 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 0 min Hops
1 pkgs Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP099) Yeast
1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 14 days Hops
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 14 days Hops

How long was this beer fermented? How long has it been bottled? It may just need more time in the bottle to mellow out,if it has not been bottled it may need to be bottled then allowed time to mellow out. What temps did it reach during fermentation?

How long was this beer fermented? How long has it been bottled? It may just need more time in the bottle to mellow out,if it has not been bottled it may need to be bottled then allowed time to mellow out. What temps did it reach during fermentation?

Beer has been fermenting for 10 days.
It's still in the fermenter.
Fermentation started at 64*F.

Let it ride a couple more weeks then let it bottle condition for a month. It might calm down. On a side note....should have probably listened to the people who you asked on HBT earlier.

Alas....you live and learn.

14 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
1.0 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 60 min Hops
0.5 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 45 min Hops
1.0 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 30 min Hops
1.0 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 15 min Hops
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc
0.5 oz Centennial [10.3%] - Boil 0 min Hops
1 pkgs Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP099) Yeast
1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 14 days Hops
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 14 days Hops

Daamn. That's close to this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/boddingtons-bitter-orfys-modified-310208/ ...mine doesn't finish nearly that low.

you need to wipe out that yeast before you mix it IMHO.

I wonder if you could pump it through a chilling coil through some boiling water. Run the pump slow enough to get it up to temp.

Sounds kinda spendy though. Gravity with a little hand valve for flow control?

We're probably getting pretty far out here.

I wonder if anyone has ever done like canning/preasure cooker.

I agree; just let it ride. 8.5% is hardly boozy, and it will fade if its really that bad to you. Also, next time dont get the high gravity yeast if you dont want a high ABV brew. And the obligatory RDWHAHB.

Back