Help me pick what equipment to buy next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have settled in a bigger pot (and more fermentation buckets so I can have more than one going at a time).

Now I just need to find a good deal on a 10 gallon.

You can make a wort chiller pretty easily. I just made one for other day from materials at Home Depot. Spent $25 and the thing works wonderfully. I just brewed an Irish Stout the other day and went from 212F to 75F in 10 minutes :)

I'm in a similar spot as the OP, except I have 3 brews under my belt.

Thanks to all of the great advice here on HBT, but none better than, “be Patient and Enjoy”

For now, I'm going to work with what I have. I can do partial mash's and half AG batches in my 20 qrt pot and make beer that I can enjoy. I can chill from 212 to 70 in 10 min in an ice bath. I can mash in my pot in a paint strainer bag. I can use my plastic 15 gal tub to control my fermentation temps. I can play with recipe software and research and learn more about the ingredients and yeast strains.

Eventually, I'm going to brew enough batches and be ready to figure out how big a pot will work for me, and how many Btu’s I'll need, and what type of wort chiller, and how and where my fermentation chamber is setup, and if BIAB or mash tun is my style, etc.

I have ideas and still have my eyes open for deals on pots and burners and fridges and stuff, but funding is part of the issue.

I rank my needs this way:

1. Experience, brew and avoid mistakes, experiment and pay attention to SWMBO.
2. Knowledge of the Fundamentals, Brewing Science, Ingredient properties, Beer styles, etc.
3. Fermentation temperature control.
4. Additional Fermenter(s).
5. Larger Pot, Heat source, Wort chilling method, Mash tun / BIAB
6. Kegging

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I just got a turkey fryer set from Walmart that had a burner, thermometer and a 30qt pot. So I think that should be large enough for me right now. It was buried in their garden dept and was only 34 dollars. The burner even seems well constructed.

Next I think will be a wort chiller, to cool my now bigger pot.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I just got a turkey fryer set from Walmart that had a burner, thermometer and a 30qt pot. So I think that should be large enough for me right now. It was buried in their garden dept and was only 34 dollars. The burner even seems well constructed.

Next I think will be a wort chiller, to cool my now bigger pot.

you can make a 30 dollar wort chiller by getting some copper tubing 3/8'' OD works for 20 bucks at home depot and some vinyl tubing that you can squeeze on there tight with clamps for another 6 or 7 bucks and put on some hose clamps and you're good to go. If you got the cash might want to consider making a counterflow chiller which is much more efficient in time and water but ~60 or so dollars from what i can recall.

Just walk in a restaurant supply store and get a new stainless steel home brewer. This will match your needs and simplifies your work.

Found a restaurant supply store nearby. They had a lot of good stuff. Their stainless pots were still pretty spendy though. I did get some more food grade containers and a turkey baster for pretty cheap. Great store will def go back when I need something.

It’s interesting to shop restaurant equipments. Last time when I visited the restaurant supply store for buying stainless steel brewer, I bought a latest commercial countertop oven also. Wow it helps me in all emergencies. Now I am suggesting my pals to buy that oven.

Back