Help me pick what equipment to buy next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxpx5678

Reaction score
I am just starting out and have one batch under my belt and about to start another. I am wondering what piece of equipment I should get next. I don't totally love the bottling process so I am considering kegging. Here is what I do have.

4 gallon pot (originally just a large stock / steamer pot)
2 6 gallon fermenter buckets
1 5 gallon bucket (I use this just for general cleaning of equipment)
Auto siphon, tubing and bottle filler.
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Large spoon
Lids and airlocks
Bottle caper.
Grain bags.

Some things I am considering are like I said kegging stuff. Or a 5 or 7 gallon pot. Maybe a wort chiller. Though chilling in ice bath in my sink seemed to work well.

Thanks for any advice you can give a newbie! I am already hooked.

Wort chiller. You will want this. Full boils improved my beers a lot, and a wort chiller will be next to necessary when you do full boils.

That said, it will also be a huge help if you make the jump to all grain.

People may argue over the need for a wort chiller but it's definitely a very useful convenience. You may want to look at getting a larger pot or turkey fryer. Personally I think the ability to do a full boil precedes the need to chill a full boil so I'd start with the larger pot -- if your stove can handle it (probably not) -- or a turkey fryer.

If you really hate bottling, yeah, the keg system might make the most sense.

I would buy two things.
A. Larger brew kettle
B. A mash tun

You have all the tools to make the jump to AG. The process for AG is not very difficult. Practice makes perfect.

I bought a 7.5 gallon fryer pot from academy sports for 20 bucks, retro fitted a 5 gallon water cooler for a mash tun, and was in business.

I have not met anyone who enjoyed bottling. I don't, but when the invite says BYOB I snag a sixer not a keg.

bob1006 said:
I would buy two things.
A. Larger brew kettle
B. A mash tun

You have all the tools to make the jump to AG. The process for AG is not very difficult. Practice makes perfect.

I bought a 7.5 gallon fryer pot from academy sports for 20 bucks, retro fitted a 5 gallon water cooler for a mash tun, and was in business.

I have not met anyone who enjoyed bottling. I don't, but when the invite says BYOB I snag a sixer not a keg.

Yeah it seems like a larger / better kettle is in order. And with that probably a wort chiller.

I really want to build a keezer but think I might wait till I get more experience first. Keep the advice coming. I really appreciate it.

Wort chiller, keg system, mash tun, and larger brew pot, in that order.

If money is really tight, I would go wort chiller, use 2 pots to make a full boil, and then the keg system. I would also go AG ASAP. You probably have a 48 qt cooler already, you just need to spend about 20 dollars and its a mash tun.

I have never really bottled, I started with a kegging system, and I will say that I would not be brewing anymore probably if I didn't keg. I do bottle about 40 bottles a year for friends and stuff, but I wouldn't bottle 200 gallons manually ever.

Congratulations! You've met one now.

I'm not saying that bottling just curls my toes, but I don't find it at all unenjoyable. Of course, I print custom labels and buy custom caps for my beer, so I have a different perspective than many do.

Really, though, I don't understand why so many seem to hate bottling. It's not difficult at all.

For me bottling is like Zen. I space out, grab a homebrew and bottle away. I'm usually thinking about the upcoming brewing session, which always follows a bottling session. That's how I get he most out of a 2.5GAl of starsan.

Do your self a favor and buy a ten gallon pot(at least). I found that a full boil(5gal) in anything else gets pretty close to the top when you add the chiller or anything else. Plus you can BIAB easily

theonetrueruss said:
temperature control for fermentation

What do you mean? I don't plan on lagering. And my house stays around 65-70 year round. So what would I use that for?

Your beer will ferment higher than the ambient temperature, so it would likely create cleaner better tasting beer. However your need for it may be less pressing than people who live in warmer climes.

I remember being in those shoes. I wanted everything all at once, but of course the money wasn't there so I had to piece-meal it for the last 6 years. One mistake I kept making was buying stuff that is cool but didn't really make my life easier. I did something just recently that I wish I had done a long time ago. Really think about every step of the brewing process and write down what you like the least about it. At the end of the day this is supposed to be fun, but there are some tasks that aren't fun. Personally, when things are a PITA, I stress out and then things start going wrong.

I am a bit of a nerd, but here is what I did. I listed 32 individual steps to my brewing process (AG from crush to glass). For each step I tried to think of at least one thing I didn't like (for example separating the wort from the hops after boil). Then I assigned a set of numbers for each item: relative pain (1=easy, 5=serious PITA), number of times I do this task (more than once per brew session=3, once per brew session=2, not every brew session=1), and lastly, ease of fixing the problem (1=not feasible, 5=easy fix). Then I multiplied the three numbers together and ordered the list by the result. The highest number is the most pain in the ass with the easiest fix. That is what I will buy first.

It's going to be hard to write that list with only one brew session under your belt, but I bet there are a few things already that you weren't happy about. Start there. I think there is still a large gap between your current equipment and the needs for AG, but that is up to you. Personally, I would go with something that you can use now but won't be obsolete when you jump to AG. The wort chiller (as someone else mentioned) is a good one.

:mug:

Homebrewdad,
Yeah its not a toe curler by any means. It doesn't bother me so much anymore. When I drink its more than one most times, so I fill bigger ones now.

Go with the cooler and larger pot. I don't have a chiller. I use my igloo ice cube cooler with 40 pounds of ice. When the mash is resting for 60 minutes I have the time to go to the bulk ice machine. 4 bucks for 40 pounds

you could consider getting a wine thief to draw samples from your carboy to measure FG. turkey basters also work. you can use the auto-siphon to get the job done, but the thief is easier.

if you do decide to stick with bottling, a vinator is a good investment (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/vinator-bottle-rinser.html - available cheaper elsewhere). makes sanitizing bottles a lot faster.

Really, though, I don't understand why so many seem to hate bottling. It's not difficult at all.
+1.

i'm lucky in that SWMBO helps me. one person fills while the other caps. we can get 5 gallon bottled in well under an hour while enjoying ourselves. if i brewed 200 gallons a year i could see this getting old, and kegging is obviously easier, but i too don't find bottling to be that big a deal.

Hopper450 said:
Your beer will ferment higher than the ambient temperature, so it would likely create cleaner better tasting beer. However your need for it may be less pressing than people who live in warmer climes.

Well I live in a very warm climate. But my house and closet where I ferment stay cooler. I live in central California and in the summer we are frequently over 100.

homebrewdad said:
Congratulations! You've met one now.

I'm not saying that bottling just curls my toes, but I don't find it at all unenjoyable. Of course, I print custom labels and buy custom caps for my beer, so I have a different perspective than many do.

Don't hate it. Just don't love it. It wasn't hard and the capping action was kinda fun. But I could see kegging being much easier and more enjoyable.

As a beginner starting out as well, larger pot (8 gals in my case) came first. Wort chiller comes next, spare cooler mash tun being built now, then propane burner to get my boil on faster next, then kegging equipment. That is m preference, yours could be completely different. I do bottle a few bottles each batch in 1 litet PET bottles. Gets the job done quick and is and easy way to gauge the carbing process.

I am still a new brewer but making the jump to all grain is my suggestion. It really pulled me into the hobby and im not looking back!

Noob right along with ya too!!! Bigger boiling pot first, Wort chiller second, extra fermentors third, temp controller for kegerator last. If you boil the full batch you eliminate one huge source of infection and can control the cold break for better beer clarity. I am disabled and on a tight fixed budget, but I manage to get by and make beer in spite of myself. Take your time and accumulate higher quality equipment rather than rushing and having to settle for mediocre stuff to do the job. Do things like get the 50 foot chiller versus the 25 footer so you can chill faster. Invest in labor saving devices like auto siphons to avoid sucking on tubes and possibly making your beer sick with your cold. Above all, dont stress, this is a hobby and supposed to be fun. Relax, make a few batches and continue to accumulate equipment as you can afford it. Within a year you will be amazed what you have and how easy it has become.
Bob

You can also save a ton of money and maybe be able to knock a few things off your list by checking out the DIY section here. For instance, they have great instructions on how to make your own wort chiller or mash tun. Youtube is great too.

One of the the mistakes I made was the size of my brew kettle. I started out with a 5 gallon SS stock pot. I replaced that with a 7.5 gallon SS stock pot. That was ALMOST big enough for a full boil. Now I have my 3rd SS stock pot (9.5 gal) in less than a year. I gave the 5 gallon pot to my mom. I still get some minimal use with the 7.5 gal pot so it isn't a complete waste, but it's close.

I did 3 batches before I forked out the 50 bucks for a wort chiller. IMO, that's the best thing I've purchased so far. My used 9.5 gal SS stock pot with false bottom and built in thermometer for 50 bucks was a GREAT deal but the wort chiller still takes the cake because of the time it shaves off the process as well as reducing steps.

I am just starting out and have one batch under my belt and about to start another. I am wondering what piece of equipment I should get next. I don't totally love the bottling process so I am considering kegging. Here is what I do have.

4 gallon pot (originally just a large stock / steamer pot)
2 6 gallon fermenter buckets
1 5 gallon bucket (I use this just for general cleaning of equipment)
Auto siphon, tubing and bottle filler.
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Large spoon
Lids and airlocks
Bottle caper.
Grain bags.

Some things I am considering are like I said kegging stuff. Or a 5 or 7 gallon pot. Maybe a wort chiller. Though chilling in ice bath in my sink seemed to work well.

Thanks for any advice you can give a newbie! I am already hooked.

in order of importance IMO

1. wort chiller $30 - knock off 1hr from brew time
2. Steam pot, 32qt, $25 - needed for 5G AG batches
3. Cooler $40 - maintains good temp. during mash

Dhruv6911 said:
in order of importance IMO

1. wort chiller $30 - knock off 1hr from brew time
2. Steam pot, 32qt, $25 - needed for 5G AG batches
3. Cooler $40 - maintains good temp. during mash

Where can I get those items for that price?

Where can I get those items for that price?

Look for a tamale pot at your local Target or Wally World.
http://www.target.com/p/IMUSA-32-qt-Aluminum-Tamale-Steamer/-/A-10910892
You can get a good aluminum pot here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X1MG1M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Coolers are cheap you can get that at the same place. Here is a link to making your own MT easily.
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
Here is a cheap red 52qt cooler for mashing in.
http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=cooler&category=0|All|matchallany|all+categories
I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy two things.
A. Larger brew kettle
B. A mash tun

Hey, wait.... I enjoy bottling....including the pre-soak to remove labels and the scrubbing and washing prior to dishwasher for use. The several hours it takes to bottle a 5 gallon batch. To me it is a labor of love!!!

onthekeg said:
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Update-International-Stock-Pot-Qt/dp/B000X1MG1M/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1329231770&sr=8-40

Coolers are cheap you can get that at the same place. Here is a link to making your own MT easily.
http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=cooler&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallany%7Call+categories
I hope this helps!

When buying whatever it is you're buying just make sure everything is stainless steel and not aluminum.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X1MG1M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=cooler&category=0|All|matchallany|all+categories
I hope this helps!

What about the Wort Chiller for 30 bucks?

I'm trying to figure out why it takes an hour to cool down 5 gallons of wort with a chiller? I use an ice bath and it takes about 15 minutes or so. Now people will say that gently stirring it while its in there can cause oxidation, but that has yet to happen to me.

What do you mean? I don't plan on lagering. And my house stays around 65-70 year round. So what would I use that for?

For me temp control made a big difference.. I also have a closet that stays about 65-70 but controlling the temp helped... especially with high grav beers. I do also make an occasional lager as well.

Ok so I sacrificed one of my bottles to test the FG it came out at 1.010 and OG was 1.035 (temp corrected) so I think I should be ok as far as bottles bursting. There was already a decent amount of carbonation in the bottle, not a ton as it has only been about 2.5 days. But I think I should be in the clear for bursting bottles, but I learned my lesson and will leave in primary longer next time :)

Average time for beer is a couple weeks primary, then bottle. I just pulled a sample of a pale ale I brewed on 2/5. Gravity is where it should be, its pretty much clear. I'll bottle it on Saturday. Tastes awesome even though its flat. The cider that's going now will take a couple more weeks to clear. I'll rack that into the secondary on Saturday as well.

bob1006 said:
Average time for beer is a couple weeks primary, then bottle. I just pulled a sample of a pale ale I brewed on 2/5. Gravity is where it should be, its pretty much clear. I'll bottle it on Saturday. Tastes awesome even though its flat. The cider that's going now will take a couple more weeks to clear. I'll rack that into the secondary on Saturday as well.

Yup. This is my first batch so I am still learning. But my gravity was about where it should be anyways, just could use fermented a lot longer. My next batch is going to be an IPA and I am going to do 1 week primary 2 in secondary so I can dry hop.

You NEED a hydro and thermometer. They are essential equipment, and they are cheap. After that go for a larger pot then a bottling bucket (if you dont have one) hold off on the keg stuff, its the most expensive and you can bottle a little more while you get used to your new equipment. Work on full boils and partial mash, that will really help improve your beer. Also, try some other stuff like cidar and mead. They are simple and a nice break.

JoshuaW said:
You NEED a hydro and thermometer. They are essential equipment, and they are cheap. After that go for a larger pot then a bottling bucket (if you dont have one) hold off on the keg stuff, its the most expensive and you can bottle a little more while you get used to your new equipment. Work on full boils and partial mash, that will really help improve your beer. Also, try some other stuff like cidar and mead. They are simple and a nice break.

I have both of those. I just need to learn to use them :)

Latest posts

Back