Help Me Pick a Stout To Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
I have some friends coming in from out of state around Christmas, would like to have a stout on tap for when we get together. Just not sure what I want to brew, as I've never brewed a proper stout before.

Looking for an extract recipe (+ steeping grains as necessary, doesn't need to be all extract) that's a safe bet and can be done in a month. Seeing as I haven't brewed a stout before I don't want to experiment too much. I was thinking of either a dry or oatmeal stout, and would like to keep ABV to less then 7% (right around 5% preferred). Don't need a "punch in the face" stout like an imperial. Oh, it'll be a 5 gallon batch as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Hoping to hit the brew shop later today.

I had a bottle or two last night - you won't be disappointed. Cheers!

I had a bottle or two last night - you won't be disappointed. Cheers!

It certainly smelled delicious on it's way into the fermenter.

I also changed the recipe just slightly (based on the original brewer's statement that is was slightly too hoppy) to 2.5oz Kent Goldings for 45 min, then the other 0.5oz at 10 minutes. I also used the Denny's Fav 50 yeast. We'll see how it turns out, I'll post up when it's complete.

Cheers! Like most stouts, this benefits from a long sit. It was okay in a month, really good in two months, and friggin' awesome at 2.5/3 months.

I have about a cup (maybe 1.5 cups) of Woodford Reserve I just found laying around...I really don't drink it straight, but I do love me a bourbon beer. Thinking this would be a good candidate.

Should I do a secondary and add it then, or would that be overkill? I was thinking just add it in while kegging...I need to top it off a little anyways (I'm about 0.5 gallon short) so that can go towards meeting the 5 gallon mark on the way into the keg. I'm just not sure if it needs time to mingle with the beer or if that's just time wasted and not necessary.

here's my oatmeal-rye stout ... probably not the best early (within a month) but damn tasty after aging ...

1 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Rye, Flaked
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt
6 lbs Amber Liquid Extract
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Cooper Ale Yeast

Simple Stout

10 gallon batch
18 lbs Marris Otter
3 lbs Caramel 30
3 lbs pale wheat
3 lbs roasted barley
mash @156
4 oz EKG @ 60

A very enjoyable stout.
I try to keep this on tap at all times, it is my favorite.

About 1 week since fermenting and took a sample. It's a 1.020 right now, and almost no floaters left. Taste wasn't bad...definitely a bit too much roasted barley, but not bad. I did put in a little less hops then the original recipe and I'm glad I did...I think the hop profile right now is about perfect.

I'm likely going to add some vanilla bean and bourbon in about another week or two. I'll likely do this right before I keg most likely. I need another 0.5 gallons of water roughly to bring it back up to 5 gallons anyways (I forgot to top it off before fermenting). I think the vanilla will help round everything out and take attention away from the roasted barley, and bourbon is great in everything.

Simple Stout

10 gallon batch
18 lbs Marris Otter
3 lbs Caramel 30
3 lbs pale wheat
3 lbs roasted barley
mash @156
4 oz EKG @ 60

A very enjoyable stout.
I try to keep this on tap at all times, it is my favorite.

That does sound good, and I might do that up once another fermenter frees up. Might even make it my first BIAB brew.

About 1 week since fermenting and took a sample. It's a 1.020 right now, and almost no floaters left. Taste wasn't bad...definitely a bit too much roasted barley, but not bad. I did put in a little less hops then the original recipe and I'm glad I did...I think the hop profile right now is about perfect.

I'm likely going to add some vanilla bean and bourbon in about another week or two. I'll likely do this right before I keg most likely. I need another 0.5 gallons of water roughly to bring it back up to 5 gallons anyways (I forgot to top it off before fermenting). I think the vanilla will help round everything out and take attention away from the roasted barley, and bourbon is great in everything.

If it has too much roasted barley for you, I'd skip the bourbon, since it's basically Roasted Wood Extract. It'll just add to the harshness. The vanilla bean will give you the non-burnt Bourbon flavors you want. It takes it's time to give up all its flavors, so split it open and add it now and make sure it goes into the keg when you transfer. I wouldn't top off with water unless your beer is too much in every way.

Back