Help me identify this growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco1500

Reaction score
Hello All,
Im new to this hobby, so please gentle.

I was at a garage sale and bought this growler for $10. I thought it was cool looking and was very similar to one a friend brought back from Germany. After I bought it from the wife, the husband told me he never got around to opening it and drinking it. I didnt even realize it was full of beer. Shook it and yep it was full.

So here are my questions:
1. Does anybody know what/where this jug came from?
2. Is this thing "the holy grail" and should be treated as such, or pour out the 22 year bear, clean and fill with home brew?

Any help is appreciated

photo13-1.jpg

Wherever it's from - it looks completely badass. I would try to sneak a sip, you might barf, but you gotta do it. Great find.

sample it ?!?! So you think its bottle aged enough, huh ?

Hadnt thought of that. I just assumed it would be...well....not healthy...or tasty...or

10 bucks sounds like a good deal for an awesome ceramic growler, and the contents can make for a great story, nice score.

Ok the report:
So I finaly got around to opening it. Flipped the latch and no "pop" of carbonation. Huh... So I tried to lift the lid and the thing was stuck like it was super glued. I had to go get a rubber mallet to smack the lid open. An immediate smell of beer & ethyl. I poured it out and there was only about 10 oz total. No carbonation. Very Very dark, kinda porter like. So, im guessing the fluid slowly evaporated over time and created this super concentrated beer. I would doubt any alcohol survived but the stuff was so potent I couldnt swallow. Kinda like a wine taster... swish and spit, and spit, and rinse, and gag... the rest went down the drain.

Meh, cool bottle

Latest posts

Back