help me id my yeasts - i'm an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
Ok, more props for keeping good notes. So I banked three yeasts in gel in my freezer. I labeled one and i know the other two are american wheat and english ale (wlp002). I know 002 was a huge clumper/cottage cheeze so I figure if I make a starter with one I should be able to figure out which is which by clumps/no clumps. sound reasonable??? I know american wheat is hard to bank and restart but here goes!

cb

there's not enough to taste without the risk of contamination. They're in 2.5 ml vials with glycerin. I can't get a good smell either due to the amount and the glycerin. I chose the one I thought was the wheat and looked more powdery - we'll see what the starter looks, smells, and tastes like tomorrow.

cb

good news! it smells like wheat and DME! I can't believe it's still good (or seems to be so far). I banked it in October!

Back