Help me choose what to brew next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSU_Brewer

Reaction score
After brewing my first batch of beer (an American Hefe kit), I am officially infected with the brewing bug. Now I need help deciding what to brew next!

The candidates:

Blue Moon Clone. SWMBO loves Blue Moon, so I'd earn major brownie points. Plus, I'd like the challenge of seeing how close I can come to the real deal.
1lb flaked oats (steeped at 155F)
3 lbs light DME
4 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertauer 45 mins
.5 oz Hallertauer 0 mins
1 oz ground coriander 10 mins
1/3 oz sweet orange peel 5 mins

Fat Tire Clone. This is my "go-to" beer. I drink it when I'm watching a ball game or just piddling around in the garage. Again, I'd be interested to see if I can match the real thing.
.5 lbs Victory malt (steeped at 155F)
.5 lbs Caramel 60L (steeped at 155F)
1 lb Pilsen DME
6 lbs Munich LME (15 mins BKO)
1 oz German Perle 60 mins
1 oz Hersbrucker 15 mins

Original Cream Ale. I did a lot of research for this one, and I think I have a decent recipe. This beer would be shared with my in-laws at the beach. My in-laws are awesome, so getting to share my home brew with them would be a bonus. Plus, I'd like an alternative to the maltiness of Fat Tire when I'm working out in the yard during North Carolina summers.
1 lb 2-row (steep at 155F)
1 lb flaked corn (steep at 155F)
3 lbs light DME
2 lbs Pilsen DME
1 oz Liberty 60 mins
.5 oz Liberty 30 mins

So what do you guys think?

Blue Moon = risk. If you screw it up, could really put a damper on the summer's brew schedule? It's risk/reward. If you're confident you can pull it off without error, go nuts.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody! I think I'll cut the Blue Moon Clone recipe in half (BM is ok, but not at the top of my list) and then follow it up with the Cream Ale.

Blue Moon = risk. If you screw it up, could really put a damper on the summer's brew schedule? It's risk/reward. If you're confident you can pull it off without error, go nuts.

What kind(s) of things could go wrong? I'm still a novice brewer, but I was very comfortable with the extract + specialty grains process from my first brew.

Blue Moon. Nothing can go wrong. It's a solid recipe. I see you are doing 1/3 ounce sweet orange peel. I've done 3/4 ounce and more and it hasn't been too much. Of course it's fine to play it safe, as you can always add an orange slice to the glass if it's not enough.

You may find a Homebrew version is even better than the real thing. I think you wife is going to love it.

Brew the same thing at least twice. May surprise you how different they can be with little changes in process.
D

Don't underestimate the value of trying to please your significant other.
Only after a suitable supply of beer that she likes is built up should you attempt to make any beer style she doesn't like.
I make an Anderson Valley Summer Solstice clone for my best G/F.
Its something like a cream ale done with SF lager yeast, maybe your in laws would like that as well. Good luck and Cheers!!!

Thanks for all of the great advice! Looks like I'll be doing the Blue Moon clone next, followed by the cream ale. Maybe I'll get around to brewing something for myself by July!

I wasn't trying to say the Blue Moon would be any more difficult than the others. All I was trying to say was IF it turned out poorly, SWMBO might get bummed about your newfound hobby, that's all. However, if you do a good job with it, she'll probably soon ask what your next batch will be! Good luck!

I wasn't trying to say the Blue Moon would be any more difficult than the others. All I was trying to say was IF it turned out poorly, SWMBO might get bummed about your newfound hobby, that's all. However, if you do a good job with it, she'll probably soon ask what your next batch will be! Good luck!

That makes sense. Thanks again for the advice! :mug:

So I finally got around to brewing this bad boy last night. It took me an extra two weeks to brew because

1) My nights and weekends have been jam-packed with family activities, and

2) I spent what little free time I had converting a wine fridge I scored off of Craigslist to a fermentation chamber :D

So anyways, I finally got to brew last night. Things went pretty smoothly and honestly were a little more boring this time, but I still really enjoyed the process. This was my first non-kit brew and only my second brew overall, so I'll be posting my lessons learned in the beginners forum - I learned a lot and hope that I can help out my fellow novice brewers.

One question for you guys - After topping off my carboy to 5 gallons, I use a turkey baster to grab a sample for OG. Both times that I've taken samples (this brew and the previous one) I've gotten a really low OG - like 1.020. I'm doing my best to shake the carboy and get everything mixed, but I'm thinking that the heavier wort is settling to the bottom. Any suggestions for how I might get a better sample next time?

Stir with a long sanitized spoon. anyways OG for extract brews, in a known (accurate!) quantity of water is easily figured out with any of the free online calculators, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Stir with a long sanitized spoon. anyways OG for extract brews, in a known (accurate!) quantity of water is easily figured out with any of the free online calculators, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I ferment in a carboy, so the spoon isn't an option. I guess I could top off and mix in my bottling bucket, and then transfer to my carboy.

On another note, I'm now a concert to blow off tubes. My buddy who gifted the carboys to me had never needed to use a blowoff. On my first brew I didn't either.

This time, on day 3, I came home and found krausen oozing out of my s-type airlock. I quickly sanitized my racking tubing and and made a blowoff.

The only thing I can figure is that I'm fermenting in a temp controlled chamber. My buddy ferments in his pantry and my first batch was done in ambient temp.

I ferment in a carboy, so the spoon isn't an option. I guess I could top off and mix in my bottling bucket, and then transfer to my carboy.

On another note, I'm now a concert to blow off tubes. My buddy who gifted the carboys to me had never needed to use a blowoff. On my first brew I didn't either.

This time, on day 3, I came home and found krausen oozing out of my s-type airlock. I quickly sanitized my racking tubing and and made a blowoff.

The only thing I can figure is that I'm fermenting in a temp controlled chamber. My buddy ferments in his pantry and my first batch was done in ambient temp.

Back