Help me choose my SMaSH..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I bottled this beer last night, it was my first all grain, and WOW! It is so damn good that I don't even need to carbonate it. It tastes to me like a better tasting Deschutes Golden Ale. The Vienna/Northern Brewer/Nottingham mix is brilliant! Thanks again Death...
+1
Brewed that SMaSH a few weeks ago. Great stuff.

Cascade = citrusy, floral, grassy
Northern Brewer = woody, spicy, earthy

Completely different.

I am not a fan of using Cascade as a bittering hop. It has its place in flavor, though.

WLP001 would work fine. I have yet to use the Pacman yeast. I always use nottingham with this beer...comes out nice and dry.

The Vienna+NB SMash is an untraditional American Pale Ale with more of the minty, woody flavor of the Northern Brewer than the citrusy quality of the usual American "C" hops.

My SMaSH was very random. Just grain I had left in a sack and a bag of hops I found at the back of my freezer.

5# 2-row
2# 2-row toasted in oven 350/45min
1oz Willamette 60min
.5oz Willamette 10min

Pitched on leftover yeast cake from my Holiday Red (Irish ale)

I might have stretched the limits of a true SMaSH since I did pick up some flavors from the Holiday Red. It was pretty bland to start and had an odd astringency I can't quite figure out. After about 3 months in the bottle it's really starting to taste good. The astringency has mellowed and it's sort of picking up some fruity notes. Weird.

I'm thinking my next will be MO/Willamette. I really like Willamette and have never used MO before.

Terje

Cascade = citrusy, floral, grassy
Northern Brewer = woody, spicy, earthy

Completely different.

I am not a fan of using Cascade as a bittering hop. It has its place in flavor, though.

WLP001 would work fine. I have yet to use the Pacman yeast. I always use nottingham with this beer...comes out nice and dry.

The Vienna+NB SMash is an untraditional American Pale Ale with more of the minty, woody flavor of the Northern Brewer than the citrusy quality of the usual American "C" hops.

Well I think you have swayed my decision. I am planning on brewing the Cascade/orange pale soon so I will leave that one to be the citricy one and change this to NB hop. I already have ingredients for like 4 brews so I really don't need to order anything, but need some NB hops. Anyways, soon enough. Thanks Death............. that just sounds wrong.

When I first was making SMaSH recipes, I made one for just about every style. For instance:

10 lbs Pilsner + Saaz = Pilsner Lager
10 lbs Vienna + Cascade = APA
10 lbs Munich + Fuggle = English Ale

You can make tons of styles with a SMaSH.

My personal favorite:

10 lbs Vienna Malt
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8%AA) @ 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8%AA) @ 20 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8%AA) @ 5 min
Nottingham yeast

Best beer I've ever brewed.

What efficiency are you assuming here or what OG are you trying to hit?

It has varied for a few batches, but regularly around 75%. The first time I brewed it, it was around 84% efficiency!

:drunk:

It's always been good regardless. I don't recall the exact OG of the regular batches, I'd have to look at my notes.

It has varied for a few batches, but regularly around 75%. The first time I brewed it, it was around 84% efficiency!

It's always been good regardless. I don't recall the exact OG of the regular batches, I'd have to look at my notes.

thanks death, I ordered a little more Vienna and some northern brewer. This will be one of the upcoming brews.

I am brewing my simpsons golden promise/chinook/safale us 05 this weekend.
I roasted 1 lb at 350 for 25 min and 1 lb at 350 for 60. It should turn out a little hoppy with a smooth malt character..

yellowc

You know with all the SMaSH brewing going on, I'm surprised no one goes with a pilsner. It's the original smash.

This thread is a good read for someone new to the SMaSH idea.

So I've seen a lot of recipes people loved, were there any SMaSH combos people put together that sucked horribly? (Maybe they used Argentine Cascades? meh.)

You know with all the SMaSH brewing going on, I'm surprised no one goes with a pilsner. It's the original smash.

I did 2-row/Liberty/W-34/70 and Pils/Hallertau/W-34/70.

The Liberty was a lot like Scrimshaw, an American-style Pilsner. The Hallertau was more like a festbier than a pils, but had I changed the ratios....

So I've seen a lot of recipes people loved, were there any SMaSH combos people put together that sucked horribly? (Maybe they used Argentine Cascades? meh.)

I cannot drink this Munich/EKG/T-58. Sorry, Evan!. I think I just hate "earthy" tastes in beer. Goldings in quantity just taste like topsoil to me, and I've been railing against "Belgian" yeasts that throw ugly phenols and T-58 certainly seems to be one of them.:mad:

Well I am finally getting around to brew the Vienna/NB smash this weekend or I hope at least.

I was wondering if the vienna malt would benefit from a step infusion by doing a protein rest and then up to a saccrification or should I just do a single infusion?

What do you think?

Just did a Pils/Sorachi Ace/Sa-05 SMaSH...

was really funky early on but came into it's own after the last remnants of yeast dropped out. I think it may be my stash of stale Pils malt that gives it it's unique flavor.

Well I am finally getting around to brew the Vienna/NB smash this weekend or I hope at least.

I was wondering if the vienna malt would benefit from a step infusion by doing a protein rest and then up to a saccrification or should I just do a single infusion?

What do you think?

I'd do a single infusion, but mash low and slow to get higher attenuation. I find all-Vienna or all-Munich mashes benefit from the drier finish.

YMMV! :D

Bob

I brewed up the Vienna/NB/S05 smash and I ended up doing a single infusion at 152.5 and am happy with the round cooler, closed the lid and was 152.5, opened it 1 hour later and was still 152.5, 0* drop :)

Anyways I had to leave for Mothers day and I wasn't able to get the beer down in temp quick enough and put it in some ice water but needless to say, I came home 7 hours later and the water was 80* and the beer was fermenting like crazy as I dumped this beer on a S05 yeast cake so I was frantically trying to cool it down.

I decided to use the garage fridge finally with a ranco controller. It seems to be doing great this morning. I was afraid that the freezer would thaw out since I have the fridge at 65* but so far so good. I am going to do this from hour 1 next time. I just hope the first few hours at 80*+ will treat this beer ok.

I need help on a SMaSH Recipe idea as well. I have 2 oz ea. of Green Bullet and Super Alpha that I want to use before the start to turn. They are still retail sealed but I got them from my LHBS on clearance. The Base Grains I have on hand are Maris Otter, Pale, Vienna, Pilsner. I am just not sure what grain would go well with either of the hops and how much to use. Any help is appreciated.

I've never used either hops variety, so I can't really say definitively what to do. (Though reading up on Green Bullet has me hankering to try some!)

If it were my SMaSH, I'd tread carefully. Both hops varieties are densely packed with oils which provide both bitterness and flavor - a little can go a long way. I think it's wise to try to balance those qualities with malt, and I don't think a traditional base malt - even Maris Otter - is up to the task. I think your best bet is Vienna. DeathBrewer has excellent success with his Northern Brewer - Vienna SMaSH.

Cheers!

Bob

My cascade + vienna smash was pretty good, although it could have used a touch more malt to balance. I was thinking about even trying munich. Plus it seems American vienna is quite a bit toasty as compared to a German vienna.

I need help on a SMaSH Recipe idea as well. I have 2 oz ea. of Green Bullet and Super Alpha that I want to use before the start to turn. They are still retail sealed but I got them from my LHBS on clearance. The Base Grains I have on hand are Maris Otter, Pale, Vienna, Pilsner. I am just not sure what grain would go well with either of the hops and how much to use. Any help is appreciated.

Hello mate

Try this recipe, its a popular one on my home forum:

AussieHomeBrewer.com

We love the Green Bullet down under!

Cheers Jim

Back