Help me choose a yeast for my new batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
I haven't experimented too much with wine yeasts yet, despite making wine for a couple years now. Mostly I've stuck to montrachet and champagne from RedStar as they're easy, available, and reliable.

Last time I was at the homebrew store though I picked up some Lalvin D47 (recommended as a mead yeast on Jack Keller's site), EC1118 (which I've used once or twice with stuck fermentations and high ABV wines) and 71B-1122.

I mixed up a new batch of pyment today with frozen grape juice concentrate from the store (a recipe I've done several times and really like), and an OG around 1125, and I'm hoping for around 1015 FG, so I need something to bring it to about 14-15% ABV.

Which strain would you recommend and why?

EC-1118 will also make it dry and D47 is a picky yeast and often gives off flavors if the temp is uncontrolled and goes too high.

With 71b it will metabolize much of the malic acid in your grape concentrate which will take the pucker out of the wine compared to Montrachet or red star champagne and make a rounder sweeter wine overall.

D47 can be good and it will accentuate the grape flavor over the honey characteristic but you need to control the fermentation temps to be between 60*F - 65*F max or get ready for long aging times thanks to fusel alcohols.

1118 is good for stuck ferments and a few wine styles but not for Pyments.

71b would be my pick of them all. If your prior batches had a small tart kick to them that you liked though then you may need to add 1/4tsp citric acid per gallon or just to taste in post fermentation.

I went with 71B, it's bubbling away nicely... interested to see how this makes a difference vs. other yeasts!

I haven't experimented too much with wine yeasts yet, despite making wine for a couple years now. Mostly I've stuck to montrachet and champagne from RedStar as they're easy, available, and reliable.

Last time I was at the homebrew store though I picked up some Lalvin D47 (recommended as a mead yeast on Jack Keller's site), EC1118 (which I've used once or twice with stuck fermentations and high ABV wines) and 71B-1122.

I mixed up a new batch of pyment today with frozen grape juice concentrate from the store (a recipe I've done several times and really like), and an OG around 1125, and I'm hoping for around 1015 FG, so I need something to bring it to about 14-15% ABV.

Which strain would you recommend and why?

I'd go with Steinberg or Assmannhausen and ferment it low & slow. If you can maintain a steady temp, I'd go with those. If not, then maybe K1-V1116, though that'll take it dry (up to 18%abv).
You might find this useful:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp
Regards, GF.

Hello, I have a similar question and thus figured I should just post in here instead of opening up an entirely new thread.

I was wondering if anybody had experience with different Kitzinger wine yeasts for mead making. I have thus far ONLY used their Portwine yeast with very good results however (with my limited knowledge) I was thinking there might be an even better suited one.

I have read that the Sherry & Burgund wine yeasts are also well suited for mead making but am at a loss as to what kind of a difference I could expect from using those two as compared to the Portwine yeast. Is there a difference when it comes to taste, ease of fermentation, etc.?

The reason I ask specifically about Kitzinger is that they are readily available where I live and I have read only good things thus far about them...

Latest posts

Back