Help me brew an 'Alaskan' beer in 9 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastenova

Reaction score
So my SWMBO just asked me if I could brew a beer for her Alaskan party a week from Sunday. I can pick up ingredients tomorrow and brew tomorrow night. I'd like to make something similar to an ale from Alaskan Brewing Company - they're based in Juneau, AK which my wife spent part of her childhood in. She's inviting others from said town to our place for dinner.

I have a kegerator and will burst/force carbonate at 30psi for 24 hours and would like at least two days from racking into the keg to serving.

I'd love to make something like their smoked porter but doubt I could pull it off in 11 days. Their summer ale is a Kolsch, but I'm not set up for lagering. Their winter ale needs to be aged on spruce tips, probably at least a week. Could I pull off their Amber in time? Or something else? How about another Alaskan brewery's beer?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Aaron

I'd go Amber, myself. It's not my favorite in their lineup, but would probably be the best tasting for it's style in that turnaround time... plus it's an easy drinking and approachable beer for guests, assuming they're not the type that love smoke or hops. It's also their flagship beer, so I'd say ideal for an "Alaskan" party.

That or the Pale would probably work, which isn't as exciting to me being a Golden/Blonde Ale and not an American Pale Ale, but it's definitely a sessionable party beer.

What's your SWMBO's name? :p

Upon further reading, it looks like their Amber is an Alt - which means that I probably couldn't make this happen in my short timetable.

What about an Oatmeal Stout clone? Looks pretty straightforward. If I make a starter could this ferment out in just a few days and taste good enough after a couple of days to settle?

Nine days is too quick
Beer will probably be green
I would just buy some

Best I've ever been able to do was a wheat beer that was about 10 days... Let it ferment out for three, secondary for five days, and then kegged at 30 psi for 24hr and then brought back down to serving pressure for the last day. Turned out pretty good but of course everyone thought it was awesome by the time it was almost emtpy...

Do a low gravity wheat? like 4%. primary for 10 days, move to keg, force carb. Shouldnt be terrible.

Back