Help making a NONE fridge fermentation chamber ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingtj

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a temperature controlled fermentation chamber but don't have anywhere I can fit a fridge/chest freezer.

So need some ideas as for cooling ?
Heating will be either a tube heater OR ceramic heat lamp, (so no light) in chamber.

Looking to use Insulation board & maybe MDF to build the chamber but don't have a clue as what I could use to help cool it OR even if there is anything I can use.

Yes I have, but isn't this just a cooler ?

I want to control the temperature.

Well, making a custom box out of small pieces of wood, and some foam insulation board would allow you to make a chamber of any size you wish. So, thats a start.

But, you will need some form of heating and cooling. Sounds like you go the heating part figured out...

For cooling, you will need something that creates lower temperatures. A simple fan with a bucket of ice could be one thing, but that would take a ton of your attention, if you are ok with that. Getting a small AC unit may be an option? Maybe look at a "swamp cooler". Pretty simple, but no heat. But, in my experience, I dont use my heating device often during fermentations.

Just spitballing for ya...

Guess there is NO option without a fridge/freezer by the look of it.
I only have 1 fv now but would like to have 2.

I mean by the time to you build some enclosure that can hold 2 fermenters plus figure out how you're going to cool it, wouldn't it be just as big as a chest freezer?

How much space are you trying to work with? How big is your fermenter? What is your budget, sounds like $299 is too high based on your kickback on the brew jacket.

Based on the desire to have 2 FVs, along with a unit that would house those it sounds like you've got a decent amount of space available. If so, and you're willing to keep it at just 1 you might be surprised what you can fit into a 4 cu ft mini fridge and a seedling mat.

The only space I have is either a cupboard in bedroom or the attic so a fridge/freezer is NOT an option.

The first brew I've done will be bottled this weekend, but temp has been fluctuating between 20 & 24 over the 3 weeks it's been in the fv.
I'm in England so weather is all over the place.
I wished I had somewhere I could put a fridge/freezer but that's NOT an option.
Really need some way of controlling the temperature.
In the winter the attic would be great if I could control the heat when it's fermentating and could just turn heat source off to cold crash and for bottling.

No way I can use fridge/freezer in bedroom and to heavy to put one in attic.

Thanks

In your original post you said you were considering building a chamber of MDF & insulation board, so apparently you do have enough space for a small chamber. A small chamber with cooling is by definition a mini fridge.

I got my used wine fridge for $75 on Craigslist, then wired up a controller based on a $15 Inkbird 1000. For heat I use a $15 reptile heat mat.

IMG_20181121_103131_825.jpg IMG_20181121_103253_981.jpg

I use clear fermenters, and the fridge door is glass, so I can check on the fermentation without even opening the door. I rigged a window shade I can pull up to keep light from skunking the beer.

Peltier cooling of an enclosure seems like it would be great........until you realize it's not very energy efficient, and doesn't have the cooling capacity to do a cold crash.

I mean basically it seems like you don't have room for any sort of cooling, especially anything that can hold more than one fermenter. Aside from the BrewJacket, cooling 5 gallons takes up space.

Peltier cooling of an enclosure seems like it would be great........until you realize it's not very energy efficient, and doesn't have the cooling capacity to do a cold crash.

kinda the conclusion i came to.....then bought a third fridge.....just thought i'd throw it out there.....

(now if only they'd invent a flexible peltier you could wrap around a carboy like a heating jacket......cooling or heating would be easy just change the sides....)

LittleRiver, that looks great, just wish I could use a fridge.
But the cupboard is in the bedroom and the Mrs will NOT let me put a fridge/freezer in there. No chance. A Peltier is not going to be up to the job, have used one from a mini fridge/cooler before as a water cooling system for a gaming pc a few years ago and it wouldn't be enough.

IF I built a chamber that would be in the attic & would need to have temperature control.
Could probably get away with only heating in winter as it's cold in the attic but that's not going to work now without cooling as it would be to warm.

And wouldn't want to have to be constantly having to check on it.

Last edited:
Back