HELP! Im new !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisforkasia

Reaction score
Looking to start brewing. No idea what my first step should be. A kit? Build my own? Looking to spend under 100$ just to get myself into things. Any recommendations?

Welcome to the fray
find a local homebrew shop or go online you should be able to get a kit for under 100 with a batch

good luck and have fun

Some items that might not be in a kit would be a brew kettle, bottles, and a hydrometer. For extract, you can do partial boils, so you could use a 3 - 4 gallon kettle (I recomment 4 gallons). It can be aluminum to keep the cost down, but you'll need to build up the protective layer before brewing - I don't know the details because mine is stainless. Also, you can't use Oxiclean with aluminum. You need the hydrometer for making sure it is finished fermenting before bottling. I just got a bottling hydrometer that has a low SG range - much more accurate for FG readings.

Like above, I would highly recommend a kit like this to get started. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...arter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html

Add a boil kettle, hydrometer, and bottles and you'll be on your way! I would recommend spending the extra to get a min of 8.5 (10 would be GREAT) boil kettle. You can certainly start smaller if you want, but to keep from "double purchases" down the road, try to make sure the items you buy can at least be upgraded and continue to be used. A 4 gal kettle is doable now, but if you decide to say continue the hobby into full all grain 5 gal batches, a 4 gal kettle would probably be relegated to making chili in the kitchen (not that thats a bad thing).

Back