help if you can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croba50

Reaction score
problem is i got a kit a clone kit (budwiser) had problems with time in brewing had to shorting by 15 mins. then had problems with starting formation
took 3 days before it started and only went 2 day after that what went wrong with this brew.....at the same time i brew a bock and it was the best brew i have made same day same cook time . i was helping a freind get started in brewing......

the beer was the nastest tasteing and smelling beer i have ever had...we dump the rest of the batch.....tasted like a skunk and also smelled like one.has anyone ever ran into the problem this was a rice syurp kit. an (amber ale)

the bock was the best i had made ever and the alcohol levels man 12%
added 4 lbs clover honey and 1lb of true maple syurp. the bock formation went for about 8 days.

my wife does not like a heavy beer but thats all i brew so i wanted to please her a brew an amber ale. light beer for her. :confused: do not know what happened the the clone beer.....................any ideas

Tastes and smells like skunk? That sounds about right for most of the Bud I've tried. Sorry, couldn't help it.

I'd guess the problems were the fermentation, not the cook time. It sounds like your yeast grew too slowly. An infection might have started in your beer before the yeast really started eating the sugars.

I don't know, that's just my guess. Was the yeast included with the clone kit?

At least the bock is good

First off...no offense, but you can probably buy Bud cheaper and easier than brewing your own. But that aside...

Was your yeast good? Did you use a starter? If you had a dead batch, this may be the cause of the small fermentation.

Can you describe the bad flavor?

catfish said:
Tastes and smells like skunk? That sounds about right for most of the Bud I've tried. Sorry, couldn't help it.

I'd guess the problems were the fermentation, not the cook time. It sounds like your yeast grew too slowly. An infection might have started in your beer before the yeast really started eating the sugars.

I don't know, that's just my guess. Was the yeast included with the clone kit?

At least the bock is good

tell me about it but it was for the wife you know got to keep her happy..lol

Cheesefood said:
First off...no offense, but you can probably buy Bud cheaper and easier than brewing your own. But that aside...

Was your yeast good? Did you use a starter? If you had a dead batch, this may be the cause of the small fermentation.

Can you describe the bad flavor?

(your right about cost) but the yeast did start fine just like the bock did i brew the same day. both batches i did the only differance was the bock had white lab yeast and the clone had dry yeast. but both yeast started fine...
both did take about 2 to 3 days to start fermation , i did this in my basement and it was cooler then i normal start my fermation only 65 deg air temp. normal is 68 to 70 deg to start......this was also a rice syurp kit i have never used rice before.. i have brewed about 15 batches before this never this problem. taste was like a skunk /vary waterly after bottled
i was lucky to have a (artition spring water) 5 miles from my homes. both batches where done with that.

i was thinking the yeast got shocked when we put into wort..???
this was my friends batch him and i where doing his first batch...with this kit.

this was in bottle nasty not even drinkable and there was like an inch of water on top like it seperatided...... i do have about 1/2 case left i have dump most of it and i open the bottle on 1 darn near blew my head off so the rest i will go blow up on the range and loose a 1/2 case of bottles .......some where i am about 100 yards away from the bottles when thay open.

it was like it re fermated in the bottle after 9 months.

homebrewer_99 said:
Never heard of beer seperating so I'll take your word.

That sounds dangerous.

Fill your sink up with water and open the bottles up under water. They shouldn't explode with much force under water.

good idea but darn this killes my range fun..................... but saves the bottles i only have 8 cases of bottles and 4 cases bottles have beer in them right now. 2 kegs

something i need to think about i think
what a 1/2 of case of bottles. :)

Try making an English Mild for your wife.

5 lbs American Light LME
2 lbs American Red LME (or amber)
1 oz Fuggles at 60
1/2 oz Fuggles at 15

Safale S-04

OG 1051 FG 1018

Took this to an Oregon Brew Crew meetings & some guy's GF (who hates craft ales) took one sip & ended up drinking a pint.

Back