Help Identify Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm kind of at a loss for style for this beer that I made. It's really great and I want to enter it in competition.

The recipe/ingredients are as follows...

IBU's 77.96 (R)
SRM 8.4
OG 1.065
FG 1.020

15.5lbs Pale Malt
.75lbs Honey Malt

1oz Mosaic 60min
1oz Mosaic 20min
1oz Mosaic 5min
1oz Mosaic 1min

Wyeast Northwest Ale

American IPA

That would be even better with an FG of 1.010 to 1.012, a clean Cali Ale yeast starter, one or two more character malts, and a few different varieties of hops in the mix at 8-10 total oz. plus a dryhop (assuming a 6.5 gallon batch at 1.065 OG).

IPA. It just doesn't taste like a normal IPA because you focused your beer around the single hop. I'd call it a single hop American IPA.

IPA. It just doesn't taste like a normal IPA because you focused your beer around the single hop. I'd call it a single hop American IPA.
The lack of dry hop will be noticed.

OP, what I've found from the competitions I've entered, it's best to pick your category first, and brew specifically for that category. It might be a great beer, but if it doesn't fit the style, you'll get dinged.

I've never found using a single hop makes it taste less like an IPA. Of course I've never used Mosaic, so that might be an issue with that hop not being right for use as the only hop.

I'm sure it is the combo of high FG and honey malt that is making it miss the IPA mark.

Specialty Beer 23

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style23.php

If the beer is really good and worthy of competing, AND doesn't fit another category (which it doesn't seem to) then the specialty beer category is for you. If it doesn't come across as an IPA, Amber, or Pale Ale, then it shouldn't end up in those categories. By putting it in a category it doesn't fit will just give you feedback that may not be relevant, wanted, or helpful. At least by putting in specialty basically throws classic style out the window in terms of feedback and might give some useful feedback that can help you think more about your process - maybe explore some avenues you previously hadn't.

I recently brewed a single hop amber ale and it tastes nothing like an amber. I only used simcoe and in all honesty it's a really good beer but not what I would expect an amber to taste like. Maybe your experiencing the same thing with the mosaic.

Back