HELP I need to brew something with these mystery Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdraker62

Reaction score
Ok, I live in the TriCities in WA state and a buddy of mine lives by a hop farm. On Tuesday out of the blue he gave me a plastic shopping bag full of fresh hops. Now he didn't bother to look to see what kind they are so I am flying blind here. I feel as though I need to make a fresh hopped ale just have no idea of recipe or quantity. I don't want these to go to waste. Currently they are talking to the kegs. Please help.

How much do you have of them? Can't really go wrong with a pale ale or an IPA and test them out, see what kind of aroma and flavor they give off.

What sort of aromas can you pick out? It's tough to build a recipe without knowing the alpha acids.

I'd say use something commercial for a bitter addition, and blow through most of your grocery sack of hops in late additions (15 minutes and less). Aim for a pale ale back with simple grainbill, and let the hops do the talking. Assume 4-6 oz of fresh to 1 oz dry so don't be afraid to go crazy with them. As long as your grainbill and bitter addition are decent, the worst thing you'll make is a good pale ale :D

...or dry them, and once dry, crush up a couple really well and get a good whiff. Try to decide what you think they are and go from there. I mention drying them first because in my experience I've found the aromas to vary quite a bit more once dried.

Boil/steep a few flowers in some water or wort and smell what she gives you. You can probably estimate her bittering properties too.

Back