Help! I Have A High Gravity!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj_cox

Reaction score
Ok, so I just bottled a stout with a gravity reading of 1.031. Mind you that this was in both fermentors for a total of 3 1/2 weeks. It did one heck of a bubbling show throughout its duration of the fermentors. It also was still kinda producing gas up until the very end. a bubble every 5-7 min, if that. I also only used 6lbs DME and 2 lbs steeping grains. I know that the fermentation was done. What the heck happened???

What was your OG? With only 6lbs DME, I don't think it could have been more than 1.045.

Did you taste it before you bottled? If you saw a lot of action in your airlock, then I'd have to say that your hydrometer is hosed.

Uhhhh, you bottled a beer with a gravity of 1.031?!? I have a feeling you've set yourself up to get some gushers or even some bottle bombs. I'm afraid that with all that bottling sugar, plus the sugars remaining in the beer/wort, there's a lot of stuff for the yeast to chomp on. You'll need to let it bottle condition in the fridge to prevent explosions.

If you were still getting some airlock activity, you shouldn't have bottled it, even if the bubbles are 5-7 minutes apart. If there's any airlock bubbling, that means there's still fermentation going on. You don't want to bottle until fermentation is over.

Good luck, if you can't store the bottles in the fridge, put them somewhere near a floor drain.

jj_cox said:
Ok, so I just bottled a stout with a gravity reading of 1.031. Mind you that this was in both fermentors for a total of 3 1/2 weeks. It did one heck of a bubbling show throughout its duration of the fermentors. It also was still kinda producing gas up until the very end. a bubble every 5-7 min, if that. I also only used 6lbs DME and 2 lbs steeping grains. I know that the fermentation was done. What the heck happened???

How do you KNOW the fermentation was done? It it was still producing CO2, even very slowly, then likely fermantation was NOT done. This is where a hydrometer can become very useful - check the SG a few times over a few days. If it remains stable, then you can say that it is either or done, or maybe stuck. It it is dropping, even very slowly, then fermentation is not done.

Back