Help...funky foam on top of my Cream Ale....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaChubbler

Reaction score
So, I have brewed my third batch...first batch was a Irish Stout, and the second a Nut Brown Ale...my third batch was/is a Cream Ale, and after 7 days in the primary fermenter, I opened up my pail ale and saw this funky 'foam'...it was kinda a gelatinous foam, see attached photo. Is this a common foam? I didn't see this 'foam' in my first two batches...is this ok? Or is something wrong? Is this a characteristic of Cream Ale?

Most importantly, is my beer gonna be ok? Or should I dump it out of the secondary fermenter? Lastly, if it is ruined, any theories on what I did wrong?

Funky Foam

looks alright to me. I've seen worse looking things in other pictures. Apart from any other more viable opinons, I'd say you can relax. Brew on brother.....

EDIT: oh, and NEVER dump it out. Check with the advanced brewers here, it's probably fine. Does it smell okay?

Looks OK to me- there are all kinds of different stages of fermentation residue, it is hard to see them all when the are closed behind a plastic lid. Your brew is fine.

Different ingredients cause each fermentation to look different.

It smells fine...I just had never seen that type of head/foam appear before...but this is only my thrid batch, thus my alarm...thanks for the reassurance....

Looks like the tail end of a good fermentation to me. If your other beer's didn't do this I'd be worried about them, not this.

it could also be that your other beers fermented out in the 7 days. If you didn't look into the pail for 7 days on all of them, you might not have seen the remainders of the krausen.

Looks good, and never dump it out unless you KNOW its bad, as in, it has hair and teeth. :)

Thanks everyone for placating my fears...much appreciated....the Cream Ale is for the wifey, who is due with our first born in mid May, so I want to make sure this Cream Ale works for her...she gone 9 months without beer, so talk about performance anxiety...I 'need' to get this batch right....

DaChubbler said:
Thanks everyone for placating my fears...much appreciated....the Cream Ale is for the wifey, who is due with our first born in mid May, so I want to make sure this Cream Ale works for her...she gone 9 months without beer, so talk about performance anxiety...I 'need' to get this batch right....

Congrats. It doesn't look like "performance anxiety" was an issue about 8 months ago, so don't let it be now.

Latest posts

Back