HELP! Free my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyrich

Reaction score
I bought a brand new stainless ball lock keg. I transferred a Pliny clone batch to it, pressurized it w c02 and let it carb. I went to put the beer line on it and it won't connect! It keeps popping off. I contacted the supplier and they said that they think its an issue with the tube and they are going to send me a new one but it won't be for 3 weeks. OMG. I'm freaking out.

Note to self. Check the connections before racking even if the keg is brand new!! Doh. This is only my 2nd batch that i've kegged. Live and learn I guess...

My question is...What do I do with the carbonated beer in this keg? Can I siphon it out? Am I screwed? I have another corny keg but it's filled with pumpkin ale.

I buy a brand new stainless keg and it's a POS. Meanwhile the reconditioned soda keg is working like a charm. Go figure. :mad:

GRRRRRRRRRRR. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Experiment #1: remove the posts, take out the poppets, put the posts back on, and see if you can get both QDs to lock on securely.

If that works, you have a poppet problem...

Cheers!

is it just one side that you are having trouble with? Maybe the posts are swapped, I believe its the gas disconnects that are tighter and can be a real b*tch to get off if you put them on the liquid side. Maybe you can get the gas connect to seat on that post? Just a thought though.

I guarantee it's your o-ring on the liquid side. Replace it with a new one. I got a new keg and had the same problem. The o-ring was a little bit too big and the liquid QD would not lock down.

So should I purge the keg of co2 then take it a part?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It was actually both sides I was having trouble with but I eventually got the gas line to connect. It took a few tries though. The beer line will not connect at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just received two new kegs from NB last night. On each keg on the beer post, the small poppet valve was installed backwards preventing the ball lock from attaching. I fought with mine for a little while before I discovered what was wrong. I turned it over, put it back together and it snapped right on.

Maybe this is it?

Ken

brand new ball locks can be hard to fit over posts too, without lubricant. Also try wetting down all parts with spray sanitizer, and/or lubing up post/o-ring with food grade lubricant.

Back