Help Fix An Experiment Gone Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanchmd

Reaction score
So I had focused for about a year on brewing New England IPA's ala the Treehouse style, with great success, so much so that I'm totally sick of NEIPA and going back to my black beer roots. But I thought I'd try out an idea and apply NEIPA hopping techniques to a smoked porter I was making -- basically, a few whirlpool hop additions, a dry hop during active fermentation and another a half day before cold crashing. When racking to the keg, I noticed what looked like large size yeast colonies surfacing every once in a while which I thought was odd but didn't worry much about it. The beer looked a touch cloudy but nothing crazy.

Well I carbed it and took a pint last night and my God it looked like chocolate milkshake!! I let it settle and I did have a good inch of crap at the bottom but the beer didn't clear out much above it. I am sure that is caused in part by sediment in the keg, but I'm worried it has more to do with the hop schedule

Note -- this was the first beer I have ever made where my airlock got stuck, I didn't catch it and had a blow off. I saw no signs of infection, but I'm worried now that maybe I have one.

Note also, in case you think it matters, I used wlp023 burton ale yeast.

I'm hoping for any advice on a potential fix. I was thinking I might just have a ton of sediment and maybe I need to rack the beer to another keg, but if that doesn't do it, what then?

Thanks all

i would start with racking if first like you're thinking of doing - no point worrying about a problem until it truly is one! Rack it, and go from there.

I would let it sit cold for a few days and draw a few more pints off. The keg dip tube may be sucking sediment off the bottom of the keg and should clear within a few pints.

Being a "black" beer, you may have accidentally racked a bunch of crap to th keg unknowingly.

I wouldn't rack it yet....

Thanks -- I pulled two pints last night and each was successively clearer, the second one fine to drink (though this beer definitely needs some time) I think your right I was just pulling sediment off the bottom. It just freaked me out when I was racking to the keg all these little yeast or hop or trub colonies popping up to the top then sinking back down, looked odd. Maybe the yeast has something to do with it.

Back