Help! First time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackdowney

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering who can help a rookie please? As I'm hoping to make a few gallons of cider this year for freshers with a few friends :cool: and it's something we've always wanted to do, any recommendations on sped up processes etc would be great. I'm also struggling to find apples as I live in a fairly suburban area, I have found them on a wholesaler's site, for £25+ for 18kg, which seems like an expensive pint! Any help would be great

Many Thanks

Jack

Could I use sun grown apple juice not from concentrate from Tesco? it says it's 100% apple, this is the ingredients... Apple Juice,Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)

Also, is £0.13/100ml good?

Thanks again

You're good, bro. Ascorbic Acid is basically the only preservative which is in any way OK.

Regarding hints on process, there is a LOT of info on these forums including several step-by-step beginner guides. Have a look around. Check out EdWort's Apfelwein recipe, legend has it that it's the bombdiggity.

Thanks for the fast response. Are all supermarket juices pasteurised?

In my experience, generally yes.

That said, the best way to know is to read the label. You're going to be reading it anyway to make sure there aren't any preservatives other than Ascorbic Acid, right?

Back