HELP...Fermentation WAAY slow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheemsAF

Reaction score
I've looked around on the forum, but got a little impatient. Wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to pick up the fermentation on a Hoegaarden Clone using WLP400?

I'm used to a very vigorous fermentation in the first 48-72 hours of primary. Not the case with this one. This is my first wit that I'm brewing and have read some negative reviews about WLP400, so I'm a bit familiar with that.

Gravity: My OG measured at 1.049. The fermentation really never took off like other ales I'm used to. 1st 72 hours produced about 1 bubble/5 secs on avg for those that measure in that regard. There is noticeable krausen still after 5 days. It is the 1st time that I have ever opened the primary to take a reading. After day 5 in the primary it's only at 1.034. FG is expected to be between 1.011 and 1.014. Bubbles are now 1/20 secs.

Temps: It was kept in the dark pantry (that the other ales had no problem with) that air doesn't circulate all too well with a temp of around 64-66 by evening and about 65-67 by day. I just moved it to a room that maintains 70 about 30 mins ago.

Any other help besides attempting to raise the temp and being patient? How long should I wait to rack to 2ndary?

:tank: --> this smiley is too funny btw

1st off....don't put a wit into secondary. It's a waste of time and it's pointless with a wheat. They should be drank fresh and quickly. I do a two week primary on my house wit and then keg.

As for your slow fermentation, I think raising the temps will do the trick. If after 24 hours, it still hasn't picked up, then try rocking the fermenter a bit. This will get some of the yeast back in suspension and most likely restart your fermenation.

Thanks, I'll let you know if it picks up by tomorrow evening. Current room temp is 70. When I moved it, I purposely rocked it once in order to move the yeasties. So we'll see if that does the trick.

So no secondary for wits, huh?

1st off....don't put a wit into secondary. It's a waste of time and it's pointless with a wheat. They should be drank fresh and quickly. I do a two week primary on my house wit and then keg.

As for your slow fermentation, I think raising the temps will do the trick. If after 24 hours, it still hasn't picked up, then try rocking the fermenter a bit. This will get some of the yeast back in suspension and most likely restart your fermenation.

Isn't one of the reasons you would put it into the 2nd is to inhibit any off flavors from the dead yeast? Just curious how it works or whether it becomes a moot point on a Wit.

Isn't one of the reasons you would put it into the 2nd is to inhibit any off flavors from the dead yeast? Just curious how it works or whether it becomes a moot point on a Wit.

Won't matter if you bottle early. On most wheats you want the yeast in there, so you're not going to let it age in a carboy for weeks. I think two to three weeks in primary and then bottle sounds like the consensus on here.

Dont be afraid of the autolyses boogeyman!! Many, many people keep their beer in the primary for a month or more and their beer is cleaner for it. Those yeasts aren't dead, just sleepy, but they still will puts around cleaning up off flavors.

Dont be afraid of the autolyses boogeyman!! Many, many people keep their beer in the primary for a month or more and their beer is cleaner for it. Those yeasts aren't dead, just sleepy, but they still will puts around cleaning up off flavors.

+1. Well said.

Well, I hate it when the owner of the thread never follows up on what he said he was going to. ---pet peeve--- I almost did that on this one.

So...rocking the primary fermenter a couple of times to move the yeast around and raising the temp from ~ 65-66 to ~69-70 did the trick. The fermentation picked up slightly, but then died back off (as expected after being in the primary for 7 days). I took everyone's advice and kept it in the primary and did not rack to 2ndary. It was in the primary 12.5 days before it reached 2 points above its estimated FG. Bottled it with cane sugar for the primer at CO2 volume of 2.7. It's currently been sitting in the bottles for 3 days. Going to test one this coming weekend.

Latest posts

Back