Help! Fear I may have OVER back sweetened my cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBlock22

Reaction score
Without getting too crazy into details, I made two 5-gallon batches of hard cider with Safale-04. One came out to 6.5% ABV and the other 5.25%. Both definitely on the dry side.

Anyhow, I was doing some research on backsweetening and decided on Truvia (Stevia based sweetener). I had read over doing it can ruin your cider, so decided to err on the side of caution when adding it.

Being an idiot and going by memory on the day of transferring to corny kegs where I'm force carbing, I remembered (or thought I remembered) someone saying a 1/2 cup of stevia (was impossible to find anything online for truvia and it's just a stevia based sweetener so I figured they're essentially the same, but my wife swears stevia gives her headaches and truvia doesnt, so truvia it was) was a perfect amount to sweeten up 5 gallons of cider.

Erring on the side of caution and figuring I could add more later if it wasn't enough, I added about 1/3 cup of truvia (stevia) to each 5-gallon corny.

However, when going back online while lying in bed that night (tonight), I could NOT find that 1/2 cup of stevia info for the life of me (yes, I should have done this again before adding it to the cider, I know). However, what I did find is a plethora of pages warning against adding too much stevia as it's easy to do and can easily ruin your batch. The only thing I COULD find now is one guy saying he added 1/8 Tablespoon to 5 gallons and ruined it! Now Im afraid that my 1/3 of a cup (per batch) is going to totally tank my 10 gallons of cider.

Am I over thinking it? Should I be fine? Did I most likely ruin them both by over sweetening? Does anyone have any experience in stevia based sweetening? Looking to hopefully put some of this fear to rest...

Thanks anyone!

Back