HELP!!!Did I ruin my kettle sour???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppah

Reaction score
So I was in the process of reboiling my kettle sour after a 3 day souring stint and while boiling half of my wort I started getting my US -05 yeast ready by mixing it up with a bit of wort but I wasn't thinking and mixed about 1 cup with the non-boiled wort so it still had some loving Lacto culture. Will this small amount of remaining Lacto effect the final product of everything else is boiled to kill it off?
My lacto was the OYL 605 omega blend.

Please tell me this small amount won't ruin it...

There are a lot of variables here, and information of which I'm not aware. BUT, given the information you provided, here's my $0.02:

The main advantage of kettle sours is that they sour quickly, and they are relatively shelf-stable after that. The small amount of lacto that you mixed in non-boiled will not initially affect your beer in any appreciable way (it's a tiny bit, and lacto works slower than sacc yeast anyway). If you let it sit for months/years at room temperature, you could see an effect. However, if you plan on kegging it or even bottling it and drinking it relatively quickly, I really wouldn't worry about it.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on aging it. Good luck!

After researching a bit more it seems I over reacted hahaha. Seems like this will only potentially sour the beer a little bit more at worst and with that small of an amount likely not much

There are a lot of variables here, and information of which I'm not aware. BUT, given the information you provided, here's my $0.02:

The main advantage of kettle sours is that they sour quickly, and they are relatively shelf-stable after that. The small amount of lacto that you mixed in non-boiled will not initially affect your beer in any appreciable way (it's a tiny bit, and lacto works slower than sacc yeast anyway). If you let it sit for months/years at room temperature, you could see an effect. However, if you plan on kegging it or even bottling it and drinking it relatively quickly, I really wouldn't worry about it.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on aging it. Good luck!
Thanks for reply, much appreciated...set my mind at ease a bit lol

Seems like this will only potentially sour the beer a little bit more

Not sure you'll be able to make it much more sour after 3 days of souring. One day is usually sufficient when using a direct pitch pack.

Also, lacto is very sensitive to hops so if you hopped it at all during the boil that should take care of your lacto...

Just curious if there is another way to kill off lacto after souring besides boiling? Campden or some other method that would work and not hinder the yeast afterwards, perhaps? The 2 boils needed to get the whole batch are annoying since I only have a smaller pot.

I wouldn't mess with it. As mentioned earlier, most lacto is very hop sensitive. The Omega 605 in particular is known to be totally inactive in the presence of even a few ibus. There are a lot of tales on here about people not getting any ph drop at all if they added hops prior to pitching the lacto. Omega has responded and attributed that to the ibus. I don't know if the hops actually kills the lacto, but it's effectively a way to stop it in its tracks without boiling and without affecting the other yeast.

I think you are good to go. Only little thing might be you introduced active lacto to your fermentation vessel. That is why I kettle sour so that it where my infections end. Might want to clean the fermenter extra good after this batch.

I think you are good to go. Only little thing might be you introduced active lacto to your fermentation vessel. That is why I kettle sour so that it where my infections end. Might want to clean the fermenter extra good after this batch.
Ok, so I'm about a week and a bit into my fermentation with US05 and I took a hydro reading and it seemed to be around 1.011 so about where I'd expect it to finish (began around 1.040) but I have a TON of carbonation coming directly out of the carboy...so much that I had a visible head that retained for a bit before settling down so I could take my reading. Is this normal? Never had it be this aggressive before.

Latest posts

Back