HELP! cider noob has pasteurization concerns :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago I successful pasteurization a delicious, yet crude cider on the stove. I even managed to preserve a touch of carbonation and sweetness.

This morning I am working on pasteurizing this batch and one of my 1/2 liter bottles with the cool swing tops shattered.

Do you guys have any idea why this one out of 12 or so might have done this? my temperature was at about 160 F for only 2 or 3 minutes before the crack. Do you guys think my temperature was to high? Is it important to leave some space in the bottles if you plan on pasteurizing over the stove? I read someone advise you fill bottles all the way to the top because it leaves less room for infection.

I've wasted booze and I don't want glass to shatter and hurt anybody, and also I don't want to waste tasty booze.

Please help me wise brewsages, you are my only hope...

LOL, so I just had a second bottle throw it's metal top straight up into the air. Nothing broke, no one is hurt but more booze is lost.

I'm really wondering if I should have left more space before bottling? It seems to me that if I open any bottles I will lose my carbonation right? Do I have to call this a loss and settle for cold crashing/drinking these fast?

I'm so scared right now...

What did you carb them with, how long were they carbing, and at what temp did they carb at?

I pasteurized ~60 bottles of varying shapes and sizes @ 170° - 180° and didn't have any issues.

The heat was about 180 for only a few minutes, as stated I am an idiot and tried to do it while the burner was still on.
:: hides face in shame ::

I had one 12 oz bottle blow up on me last weekend. Water was between 140 and 170, and it was about 10 minutes into the process. Very loud and threw glass a bit. I've noticed that the fluid will expand almost up to the cap. I think leaving at least 2 inches of headspace is essential for pasteurizing. Another bottle I had got cracked near the crown and had let oxygen into the bottle. Probably from me capping to hard, if I hadn't inspected my bottles thoroughly that one would have blown too. I always keep a wet towel draped over the top of my hot pot of water to catch any flying glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had one of my 12oz bottles blow yesterday morning as well... i think my temp was about 165F or so... scared the HELL outta me and the dog. Towel was draped over, so no glass anywhere. I think that one was a little too over carbonated. One of my 750ml Champagne bottles started hissing... but went away eventually... think it's done? doesn't seem cracked or anything... hrmmmm.

Back