Help calculating dogfish 90 mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
So my goal is to make this
Dogfish Head 90

16.5# Pilsner malt
1.66# Amber malt
16 AAU Amarillo (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
8 AAU Simcoe (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
8 AAU Warrior (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
1 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Warrior (Dry Hop
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

OG 1.088
FG 1.021
IBU - 90
SRM-13

Step mash. Mash in at 122 then raise to 149. Mash out at 170. Boil 105 minutes, start adding hops at 90 minutes, about .25 oz every 7.5 minutes.

Now I've made dogfish 60(havent tried it bc its still fermenting =P)
Should the hop additions be uniform like they are in this recipe?(It was warrior then amarillo then simcoe in the 60 if I recall)
And also the different strain of yeast has me worried, the 60 used ringwood, so why wouldnt this one?
But I've never stepmashed before.
If I'm using a 10gallon rectangle mashtun, how do I calculate how much water/what temp to pour it in at/when to raise temp?
Is mash out the same as sparge?
And I've been using fermcap and a 7.5gal kettle for my full boils, would this boil volume be more than 7gal?

Should the hop additions be uniform like they are in this recipe?(It was warrior then amarillo then simcoe in the 60 if I recall)
And also the different strain of yeast has me worried, the 60 used ringwood, so why wouldnt this one?
But I've never stepmashed before.
If I'm using a 10gallon rectangle mashtun, how do I calculate how much water/what temp to pour it in at/when to raise temp?
Is mash out the same as sparge?
And I've been using fermcap and a 7.5gal kettle for my full boils, would this boil volume be more than 7gal?

All the DFH "Minute" beers are continuously hopped over the entire boil. I'm wondering about your quantities though. Are you using "AAU" to mean the same thing as "HBU"? i.e. 16 AAU Amarillo is 2 oz at 8%AA, etc.? If so, roughly 4 oz in the boil doesn't seem like nearly enough.

I'd be shocked if DFH used Ringwood in any of their beers. 1099 is going to be much closer, even if it isn't what they actually use.

I wouldn't bother with a step mash for this beer - and neither does DFH. A protein rest won't do much for an all-malt grist, so just do a long rest at around 149-152°F.

A mashout is a high-temperature rest at the end of the mash that acts to denature the enzymes and fix the sugar profile before lautering. Are you batch sparging? If so, there's no need for one. Just sparge with 180-190°F water and it'll do the same thing.

The recipe you posted doesn't specify a liquor:grist ratio, so there's no way to know what the pre-boil volume would be. If you mash/sparge with a total of 8.5 gal of water, you'll hit about 7 gal in the kettle.

I know its continous but I mean the hop schedule has a even mix of the 3 being added where as the 60min IPA had the types of hops added separately. I haven't looked into the calculations for the hops yet, I just assumed those were correct because I quoted them from a post who said it was from BYO magazine. Any suggestions as to a more legitimate hop schedule?(I couldn't find one on the forums)
The 60min clone used less than 3oz of hops for a 5gal batch though.
I suppose the Yooper recipe I made was inaccurate in regards to cloning(least yeast wise)
Thats nice to know the steps are unnecessary, I know how to calculate my batch sparge =)
And the ratio wasn't assigned in the recipe I assumed 1.33qt:1lb.

In my reading I've seen as 7.5min additions, but never normal hop additions
I really want to find a reliable recipe for this >_< Any suggestions?(kinda frustrating since it seems to be the holy grail of IPA's...I can't find a bottle within 50 miles of here so I really want to make it)

Actually the 90 and 120 mins are not continually hopped the only one they do that in is the 60 min IPA.

Do you have a source for that? I've never seen a recipe from anyone authoritative, but I've always heard that the reason for the 60/90/120 naming convention is the continuous hopping using their shaker-table thingy. Plus their site says all three are continuously hopped: http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/90-minute-ipa.htm

TCFB: Have you emailed DFH for help with a recipe?

Actually the 90 and 120 mins are not continually hopped the only one they do that in is the 60 min IPA.

Not true.

Per DFH site

Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45-degree plato, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continuously hopped with high-alpha American hops, then dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month & aged for another month on whole-leaf hops!!!

I myself made the 120 twice and my understanding the 90 and the 120 are pretty much the same base recipe but the 120 has more IBU's and all the sugar/dry hop additions to raise the ABV. I mixed all my hops together then separated into 40 equal parts adding one every three minutes. My 1st batch I actually did a decoction but for the second I just mashed at a single temp and both beers were praised as being two of my best. I also used a different yeast since the 120 uses two yeast but I don’t know that it seems like everyone agrees 1099 is the yeast to use for what you’re looking at. Thebrewingnetwork has a podcast for the 120 and if my memory is correct they spoke to DFH directly. I would give the podcast a listen since I want to say they referenced the 60/90 during the interview. I may be wrong it has been a while since I listened to it but still the podcast was good for the 120 and can possibly help you get a feel for what DFH is doing with these great beers.

A good friend of mine used to work for DFH for many years. In 2006 I had the opportunity to brew a batch of 60 minute with one of the brewers, so of course I took him up on it.

I had taken a break from home brewing at the time so I didn't take notes. Kicking myself now!

FWIW, at that time, the brewer told me that all DFH brews were 60 minute boils, even the 90 minute IPA. This was due to time restrictions in the brewery, they gotta keep the line going.

Also, they do use a "continuous hop addition" in their "minute" IPA's. If you've been to the brewery you'll see it...."Sir Hops Alot". It's a big automatic hopper and sounds like it's air powered. Dumps hops in every few minutes, I've seen it in action. Really cool stuff!

Sorry, I know this doesn't help ya with your mash schedule but I figured it clear up a few other questions about how they make the stuff in the big brewery.

Back