Help ASAP - mash temp got away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Hey folks I got called away while the flame was on under the mash trying to get to 153. Ouch. Moved up to about 200 before I got back outside. Is the mash salvageable by taking grain out (already took out - BIAB) and putting the bag back in at 153? Its my Super Bowl Stout, lol :(

Well brief search tells me I probably killed the enzymes. Probably gonna dump.

Yep, enzymes are dead. But don't dump! Depending on how fast your burner heats, you may have had some enzymatic activity before it got to 170 (which is the temp all enzyme activity is dead)

I have seen experiments where people got full conversion in as little as 10 minutes.

At least sparge and take a reading and see if you got any fermentables. Maybe you'll just end up with terrible efficiency and you can call it a session stout. I mean you already paid for the ingredients right? What harm will it do by letting it ride and seeing if you still make beer?

Good thing it is a stout that you are are making. I wonder if maillard reaction off flavors will play a part .

I'm with danath on this one, conversion may have taken place while you were heating through the correct range of temps. I would not be surprised at all if the beer is fine and tasty....

You could get tannins too. But I wouldn't dump it either. You're halfway through your brewday. Let us know what happens.
If mash pH was below 5.8, tannins shouldn't be a problem. If it does exhibit tannins when finished, then OP knows he needs to get mash pH under control.

Brew on :mug:

SOOO?? How'd it come out, OP? How was your OG/efficiency? Any fermentation occurring? We need an update here!

Latest posts

Back