HELP!! Airlock blew off and lost a gallon of liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astinson

Reaction score
So I got my first brew in fermentation last night; True Brew Belgian Ale kit. Put it into a five gallon glass carboy put the stopper in and airlock assembly. Everything was fine this morning at 7am (roughly 8 hours after I added the yeast) however around 9am I stopped home and checked it - the airlock had blown off (broken into pieces) and I lost about a gallon of liquid in the carboy. So I re-sanitized the stopper and hooked up a blow-off tube setup into about a quarter gallon of sanitizer.... my question is should I add more water to bring the mixture back up to 5 gallons??

Please help!! This is my first batch and I'm just learning.... hopefully it still turns out good!!

Don't add anything at this point. You may have lost some, but diluting it will just mess up the rest. Try and get a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy to ferment in.

1. Relax
2. Don't worry
3. It's only 10 am, so don't have a homebrew, yet.
4. Take and post a picture if the mess is still around (especially of the shattered airlock!)
5. Just leave the beer alone. The loss is minimal. Remember next time to hook up a blow off tube.

So I got my first brew in fermentation last night; True Brew Belgian Ale kit. Put it into a five gallon glass carboy put the stopper in and airlock assembly. Everything was fine this morning at 7am (roughly 8 hours after I added the yeast) however around 9am I stopped home and checked it - the airlock had blown off (broken into pieces) and I lost about a gallon of liquid in the carboy. So I re-sanitized the stopper and hooked up a blow-off tube setup into about a quarter gallon of sanitizer.... my question is should I add more water to bring the mixture back up to 5 gallons??

Please help!! This is my first batch and I'm just learning.... hopefully it still turns out good!!

Don't dilute your beer. Learn from it and be ready with a blowoff tube next time.

4 gallons of good beer is far better than 5 gallons of thin watery beer. Also get a 6 gallon carboy or a bucket, a 5 gallon fermenter is far to small for a 5 gallon batch.

-

Oh snap, I hate it when that happens. You did right by sanitizing and hooking up the blow off tube. I wouldn't add water, it will throw of the brew and make it too light. Are you sure you lost 1 gal of wort, or was it just the bubbling krausen? I've never had an eruption where I actually, but if I read that correct you put 5 gal of wort into a 5 gal carboy? That will probably happen alot unless you get a 6 gal carboy or bucket, keep the 5 for smaller batches or as a secondary vessel. Your brew should be fine, you'll just have to start another batch soon to make up for the loss.

Thanks for the suggestions and answering my question! I talked to a guy here at work and consensus is to not dilute the 4 gallons of wort left in the carboy. Pretty certain I lost a gallon as I measured out 1 gallon increments on the side of the carboy... and I mis-typed earlier it's a 6.5 Gallon Carboy with 5 gallons of wort... none the less I've moved to a blow off tube and we'll run that way with the remaining 4 gallons.

I'll be heading to the homebrew store tonight and getting a bucket.... reserve the carboy for secondary fermentation and aging from now on.

Some brews will do that to ya. I've only had to hook up an airlock on 2 of mine so far, but I always check before and after work when I've brewed in the last couple days. If there's a mess in the airlock, it's time to hook up the blowoff.

My advice your fermentation vessel should have at lease 1-1.5 gallons of headspace for krausen and to avoid these problems. All 5gal batches should really be in a 6.5 gal pail or carboy. Your 5gal could be used for appflwein or as a secondary. If you insist on using it, rig up a blow off tube, but you'll still lost quite a bit of liquid imo.

Back