Help adjusting water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moce

Reaction score
Hi, first post here! I'm from Spain and have been reading you almost every day for about a year but never posted before, so here I go.

In the next few days I'm brewing Janet's Brown Ale and my water profile looks like this:

Ca-209ppm, Mg-26ppm, Na-10ppm, SO4-340ppm, Cl-15ppm

And Mc.Tasty's water profile for this beer is:

Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm

Since I don't have a RO system and I'd preffer to don't buy distilled water, I'm thinking in just raise de Cl with table salt to 50ppm wich will raise too the Na to 32ppm.

So the water will look like this:

Ca-209ppm, Mg-26ppm, Na-32ppm, SO4-340ppm, Cl-50ppm

Do you think that I will be ok? Or are those higer levels of Ca, Mg and Na gonna affect too much the flavor-mouthfeel-perception for this beer?

Also I have another question. If I'm not wrong it's best to add the NaCl in the boil kettle. So if i have 50 liters pre-boil, do I need to calculate the amount of NaCl needed for those liters or for the post boil volume?

Thanks!

Don't bother adding anything. That water is mineralized enough.

One thing that was not included in your report was the alkalinity or bicarbonate content. If those values above are correct, it implies that your bicarb content is around 335 ppm. That is not going to allow the mash to produce an acceptable pH.

If dilution is not feasible, I suggest that pre-boiling the water and decanting off the sediment will substantially improve that water for brewing pale ales and IPAs. But it will not be very good for other styles...too mineralized!

Thanks for your answer mabrungard.

Here is my complete analysis, now I've noticed that the values are in mg/l not ppm.

pH: 7.3
CE: 1130 us/Cm
HCO3: 293 mg/l
Cl: 15 mg/l
SO4: 340 mg/l
Ca: 209 mg/l
Mg: 26 mg/l
Na: 10 mg/l

Before, when I was making smaller batches, i used to boil my water, but since I upgraded to 50 liters batches I stoped doing this because it's too expensive and takes a lot of time. Now I'm using phosphoric acid to low my mash ph. You don't recommend me to do it?

Also don't you think a bit more of chloride could help this water to make rounder-fuller-sweeter beer? Don't take me wrong, I know who I'm talking with and I'm not trying to contradict you, but i'd really like to improve this lack of fullness many of my beers have, specially the low ABV ones.

The good news are that I almost exclusively brew APAs and IPAs because they are my favorites. So, not so bad.

Back