Hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr impatient

Reaction score
Hi guy's and gall's, I joined day before yesterday and got right on with the mead stuff I have going on, LOL I didn't remember the five posts per day limit so I have had to wait to today say hello properly, I could have said hello last night but I was afk
Hello!

In the past I have brewed a few beer kits from the supermarket and never had much success in producing what I call a nice pint. I have started making wine four years ago and it started with a rose hip wine, done from our dog rose in the front garden, 3 1/2 Lb of fresh rose hips from one bush, 3 1/2 Lb of sugar, boil everything up for 15 minuets in a jam pan, covered and left to cool (I only roughly chopped them before boiling, they do need blending with half a pint of water first).

I had no hydrometer, didn't even know they existed, but my first gallon of wine was very strong and I was so proud of it I gave most of it away, still do if I'm honest. I have just started with Mead, but it takes so long! young fresh fruit wine is for consumption not for looking at, my missus keeps telling me I have that the wrong way round but I do like my own wine.

At the moment I seem to go for alcohol content as a goal, I managed to get last years apple wine to 14.3 and 15.1 % between 5 demijohns, and each one seemed to have its own flavour.

I am just wrangling with the missus weather the first lot of blackcurrants are for wine or jam lol.

On a separate note do I have to upload photos from photo bucket to get them on here?

Welcome to HBT! I trust you've found the Winemaking and Mead forums already.
Since you're an "established" member now, you may post as much as you want, no limits anymore.

You can attach (upload) photos directly into your post, just drag them onto your posting box from your hard drive, They'll insert at your cursor position. Or link to Photobucket, Dropbox, Imgur, etc.
Photobucket apparently reversed their policy lately, and you can successfully link to them again, but who knows how long that will last. Links can get broken too, especially over time. Keep that in mind.

Beer kits vary widely in quality. Anything that uses canned (liquid) extracts is subject to storage conditions and associated aging. You can buy good kits from your local homebrew store (LHBS) or online brew stores, or compound your own from loose ingredients and a proven recipe. Read the extract brewing forum for ideas. Kit instructions tend to be grossly outdated, e.g., the use of secondaries is generally not needed, so read up on modern day brewing techniques. If you really want to learn the inside of brewing I can highly recommend How to Brew by John Palmer. The new, 4th Ed. was released last year.

Back