hello out there from the west coast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewDecadeBrewery

Reaction score
Hi my name is Chris and I have been homebrewing since the mid nineties off and on. Went all-grain and got pretty serious about this great hobby about the start of 2010 hence the New Decade name. Have read alot of posts on this site and decided it was time to join and go legit. This is the first homebrew forum I have joined and I am excited to learn how to use it.

Just found out today that I won the light hybrid category for a cream ale at the Temecula Valley Homebrew Competition out of eight entries - its a start and actually my second comp entered. I felt pretty good about it when I found out although I feel the beer could be improved still.

Looking forward to bouncing ideas off of others here as I love homebrewing - from recipe formulation, mashing, sparging, and boiling to tasting and refining the process its all good stuff to be involed with.

Cheers - Chris Toscano

Welcome to the forums Chris... Winning 6A man that's killer! That's a good one to win IMHO. Post up the recipe. I do love a good Cream Ale!!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay

Here is a link to my recipe. Hopville . "Cream Ale III" Cream Ale Recipe

I have been using Hopville. I know its maybe short on process compared to Beersmith or some other more 'legit' calculators but it serves me well. Basics of mash and fermentation are: 154f mash 2qts:lb of grain for 60min. flysparge with 170 deg water to collect about 7.5g. s-05 yeast "starter" which is usu. collected and maybe (or not) washed yeast (about a qt.) from prior batch. I think I misplaced my nutrient for this batch so no go on that. ferment at garage temps early october was mid 60's ish (I now have a fermentation chamber:rockin:)for two weeks followed by 10 or so day 2ndary ferment. keg it drink it bottle from keg for contest with homemade beer "gun".

Sorry for the delayed response. I didn't realize anyone had responded and I'll have to get better at that. Thanks for the interest in the recipe!

Welcome to HBT, and congrats in your medal as well. It is good to see someone on HBT close to San Diego. Good luck on future competitions. If you know of holiday wine cellar in Escondido they are going to have a competition. Message me if you want info.

I wonder how this beer would change with White Labs WLP 080 Cream Ale Blend.... I must add this to the books to try!
Thanks for posting..
Cheers
Jay

Yeah I've always been an S-05 kinda guy. Let me know how it works if you try it. It's a simple recipe. Might be fun to play around with different yeasts. I am fermenting my first Irish Red right now that I have pitched with S-23 lager yeast. I am fermenting it at 58f. I like that yeast I know others don't.

Back