Hello! My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumack

Reaction score
I have a kit from Austin Home Brew and on the instructions it said to ferment in the primary for 5 to 7 days then switch to the secondary after that. My question is should follow the instructions or use a hydrometer to test? I was reading other threads and a little unsure. Thanks!

I suggest gravity readings, otherwise you might have bottle bombs.

Big Toe • East Lawn Brewing •

+2 for the hydrometer...one of the most important tools a brewer uses to tell what the brew is doing.

Great! So, one other question... Do I use the finished hydrometer read indicated on the instructions? Sorry very new to brewing...but long time consumer!

Great! So, one other question... Do I use the finished hydrometer read indicated on the instructions? Sorry very new to brewing...but long time consumer!

That's your target OG, your should come in close to it. Once you reading stays at the same number for a few days fermentation is normally finished. A lot of guys just leave it in the primary for a few more weeks to let the yeast clean up, but technically you can bottle once your gravity is steady.

What you should probably do is take a reading when you think fermentation has stopped, wait a couple of days, then take another reading. If the gravity is still dropping, let it go and test again later. If it's stable, you're done fermenting.

With all the folks around here who skip the secondary altogether, you'll be in good company if you're in the primary even for 10 days or more before racking to secondary. :)

What's the kit? I only use the secondary on IPA's or beers I need to flavor. If it's a non-hoppy, non-flavored, beer then just keep it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and call it good.

as regulars know I brew until no surface activity then bottle, sometimes on day 4. Last had a bottle bomb 30 years ago and that was a non standard bottle shape. I do have some gushers, I admit, not too many. English style bitters mature fine in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back