Hello from WV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinker

Reaction score
Greetings to all members/guests in the community here from me - "drinker".

I'm from West Virginia and I enjoy hand-crafted beer very much.

I haven't brewed my own for about eight years after a house fire destroyed all my brewing gadgetry and books...

I've collected new stuff recently and plan on brewing a batch Thurs or Friday if things go as planned.

Before the fire, I had brewed about three years: 1-year extract, ~2-years all-grain.

I had satisfactory results using both techniques although I was more partial to the AG method.

Until I obtain the AG setup, I'll be using extract malts with added grains and whatever.

btw, I do have one question about canned malt extract:

I have three cans of M&F amber un hopped LME that I purchased in September 2003 that's been in a storage unit all that time. Does anyone have an opinion on it still being "usable" at this time?

If the LME is questionable then I definitely do not want to screw up my first batch and I'll get some fresher cans.

Thanks for reading this and I'll see ya'll on the boards.

drinker:mug:

Welcome to the forum, drinker.

I am no expert on aged LME. I'd open them a few days before you brew, look at them and smell them to see if they seem OK. I'd be trying to detect off-odors and unusual visual appearance. It might be fine, but if you open it a few days before you brew and find that it is not, you can go down to your local LHBS and pick up some more.

Don't you mean " Home Distiller"? I thought that's what went on in W.Va. Beautiful country there. I worked in Ashland, Ky. for a while and commuted through Wheeling and Charlestown(?) every couple of weeks for about three months. Love the mountains. Sorry about the white lightnin' reference. I promise not to mention cousins, banjos or teeth from here on out. Welcome to the forum, bro.

Sudsmonkey

sudsmonkey said:
Don't you mean " Home Distiller"? I thought that's what went on in W.Va...Sorry about the white lightnin' reference. I promise not to mention cousins, banjos or teeth from here on out. Welcome to the forum, bro.

Sudsmonkey

:mug:
Thanks for the welcome, Sudsmonkey and b4b. I appreciate that.

Yea, I always enjoy the "Deliverance" or "Wrong Turn" type of humor. I really do.

b4b wrote:
I'd open them a few days before you brew, look at them and smell them to see if they seem OK. I'd be trying to detect off-odors and unusual visual appearance. It might be fine, but if you open it a few days before you brew and find that it is not, you can go down to your local LHBS and pick up some more.
Thanks for the tip. That's about what I was thinking too.

Now, where's my pepto-bismol?:rockin:

drinker

Back